Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
medicine cabinet height?

Posted by cat_mom (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 8, 08 at 18:45

We purchased a recessed Robern medicine cabinet (15 3/4" X 30"). How high should we install it (it will be centered L-R over the vanity)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: medicine cabinet height?

The Robern installation instructions specify the necessary clearance that you need. I think that mine is installed 9" above the counter top. That gives adequate clearance for the single handle faucet.

o

Hey cat_mom - I think part of the decision also depends on how high your ceiling is, and whether you plan to put a light fixture above it. (My sink is at 35", and my 26"-high medicine cabinet is at 48". That leaves about 16" above it for the light fixture... wish it were more.)

o

No light fixtures to worry about (recessed lights), but Dh will check on the faucet clearance. Lived through that sort of nightmare with the granite windowsill install in the kitchen!

o

Hi cat_mom-- sounds like you're making progress! Our 30" Robern bottoms at 43", with only about an inch of clearance above the faucet. Honestly, I wish we had a little more faucet clearance. But, we are both on the shortish side, so we erred putting it a little low for good viewing. One of the things you'll love in the robern cabinets are the mini-magnifiying mirror that you mount inside and then swings out. Good luck!

o

I'm about to have a 30wx30hx6d semi-recessed Robern installed 50" above the floor. Should leave enough room over pedestal sink for a little glass shelf (I hope). I'm only 5'8" but 50" for the bottom of the cabinet is low enough for me to see enough of me.

o

If it's recessed, there's no issue with faucet clearance, is there?

I too just decided cabinet heights today, for surface-mounted cabinets. But everything else is in place already. Turns out, cab height was dictated by the tile backsplash, and they're kinda high. I should have asked this same question before doing the tile design!

o

I just went through this yesterday. Don't forget to measure your faucet AND the little thing that lifts up to close the drain (what's that thingie called anyway?). If your medicine cabinet is in the way, you won't be able to lift the thingie.

o

Just put in a broan 24x30, instructions said to center the mirror @60" off floor

o

For me, it was also dependent on my tile height. The tile went up to about 47 or 48", and we put the 20"x26" medicine cabinet 1" above the tile. This left me *just* enough room for the light fixture above it!

The height works fine for me. I love the big mirror! My old one was much smaller.

o

lamguy doesn't that put the bottom of the mirror at 5 feet! That's too high for a shorty!

o

It doesn't matter if the cabinet is recessed if you want to be able to open its door! It's the door swing that has to clear the faucet.

o

jjaazzy, bottom sits at 49"

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here