Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bluekitobsessed

Searching for plain white basketweave floor tile

bluekitobsessed
15 years ago

Is this hard to find, or is it just my local stores? Specifically, I want an inexpensive basketweave tile, not the pattern that is typically called spiral or pinwheel (or, for quilters, log cabin) style. The link is to an Ann Sacks marble design that I like a lot but might be out of my price range. Thanks y'all.

Here is a link that might be useful: White Thassos-Blue Celeste basketweave

Comments (15)

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

When you click on the link above you need to then click on "mosaics" and look at the bottom. I don't know why the link takes you back to the "home" blue celeste page.

• nc8861
    15 years ago

bluekitobsessed.....my wife and i just bought some - we found it at Best Tile ( see here for store locations http://www.besttile.com/default.asp?LINKNAME=BESTTILELOCATIONS )

they had all the pricey marble stuff like I had seen elsewhere (20-40 dollars per sq ft) and then they had this nice porcelain basketweave for only about $5.50 per sq ft! We love it. Haven't installed it yet, but was just as good as the marble stuff for a fraction of the $.

http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk192/slingirl/IMG_3414.jpg

• gwarrior99
    15 years ago

did you sort this out? let me know, im doing 3 bathroom floors and researched basketweaves way too much...

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sort of sorted: I went to Local Tile Shop, where salesperson told me that basketweave could be made with subway tiles and little squares, but would charge me more money for the layout time. Now I'm considering inexpensive 2" hexagons with occasional expensive 2" glass hexagons, if there is such a critter (visiting tile shop again this weekend). If you have advice/info/anything, please help me get off the fence and start this.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

Where do you live, Blue? I've just gone through a huge search for my basketweave. Best Tile really has some wonderful stuff, but if you can find a local dealer of AKDO brand tile, you might be in business.

http://www.akdo.com/products_detail.asp?pid=2263&catid=67&mcatid=11

http://www.akdo.com/products_detail.asp?pid=1042&catid=67&mcatid=11

Here is a link that might be useful: AKDO Tile Dealers

• kelleg69
    15 years ago

Jeannie, do you have a feel for how much those all white basketweaves are? They are in KC where I am, but at a place that is pretty pricey. I wonder if these are pretty pricey too! Thanks.

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

I don't really know how much the AKDO tile is. I priced another Thassos basketweave (with a ming green dot), but I don't know the company. It was $45/sq ft.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

blue... I'm confused... and I think it's me tonight cause this is the second post that has confused me! Do you want a basketweave tile or do you want to lay floor tile in a basketweave pattern? I've always thought of basketweave tile for backsplash use. Does anyone have pics? I couldn't find it on the site you linked. BTW... that blue celeste tile is bluetiful!

• bluekitobsessed
    Original Author
    15 years ago

R-Fla, here's what I've figured out so far. Jeanninepc's is marble, it's a mosaic on a mesh background, and it's pricey. At the opposite end of the price spectrum, American Olean/Daltile has tile -- not marble -- laid out in a pinwheel pattern (similar to basketweave) for about $6-10 sqft. The local tile store guy explained that usually you don't buy porcelain tile in a basketweave pattern, you buy regular subway tiles and small square dots and then lay it out (but what you save on tile costs, you spend on labor costs). I've seen the basketweave on floors. I've found a local Akdo dealer to check out tomorrow.

For hardcore nerds and quilters, the basketweave in Jeanninepc's pic above is laid out on a 4 x 4 grid and tile measurements would be 1 x 1 and 4 x 8; the pinwheel pattern is laid out on a 3 x 3 grid and tile measurements would be 1 x 1 in the center, surrounded by 2 x 4s (it's also a Log Cabin quilting pattern).

• Jeannine
    15 years ago

I've definitely seen ceramic basketweave on mesh. Best Tile (national chain, good prices) carries it at very reasonable prices. I saw some in their back room (in stock and ready to go home) for around $5/sq ft.

Polished, Carrera marble basketweave can be found for reasonable prices ($11.99-$16.99 per sq ft). When you start getting into colored dots and nicer material like Thassos, the price jumps.

Just for fun, in this picture, you can see an $11.99/sq ft basketweave on the floor and wall of a shower:

Close up:

The pictures are from The Tile Shop, which I don't recommend. I ordered basketweave from them and it arrived yellow! It was junk.

• remodelfla
    15 years ago

jeannine... that's good to know about Tile Shop. It's one of the sits I've bookmarked as a potential source.

• emmatux
    15 years ago

Bluekit,

I'm looking for basketweave tile also. I just checked the Best Tile site and they have a couple choices under ceramic/porcelain. I also have found a number of choices at Cool Tile.com I'm considering Ming marble and they had tons of choices. Prices were not too bad. BTW, the Ann Sacks is beautiful, any idea how much $?

• emmatux
    15 years ago

I found plain white basketweave at www.luxetile.com under porcelain.

• mary_smith
    14 years ago

I have found the perfect 1x2" Carrera Basketweave mosaic it is reduced in price to $11.95SF.

The pictures are incredible and the sample I receieved matches it perfectly. Just so you guys know there is white Carrera basketweave out there and it is not too pricy at $11.95SF

Here is a link that might be useful: Builders Depot Direct 1x2

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH