Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sconces in bathroom

Posted by tonymsrad (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 16, 12 at 18:20

I must decide this weekend about mirrors and lighting for a double vanity. Vanity is 78". Distance between center of two sinks is 48" Each sink is flat-bottomed 19" width, leaving me 5 1/2" between edge of sink and wall.
Two questions: 1)I think I want one mirror. How far from the edge of each sink does the mirror need to end? Does it need to extend beyond the sink, or can it be a little less wide than the sink.
2) I want sconces. Say the mirror ends at the sink edge, leaving me with 5 1/2" between mirror and wall. Will that look ok??

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sconces in bathroom

I'm not sure what to tell you about the width of the mirror. But I have just done a bathroom that has sconces on either side of a mirrored medicine cabinet. The space between the cabinet and the wall is 9" on each side. An average sconce needs about 5" in width, leaving only 2" on each side. I think it would look crowded to put a sconce in a much smaller space. To me, 5.5 would be small.

o
RE: sconces

I would get a 78" mirror and mount the sconces on the mirror. I would use 3 sconces. See picture linked below.

Here is a link that might be useful: sconce on mirror

o
RE: sconces in bathroom

I would do what pps7 says or something like what I did. (Cutting holes in mirror like that isn't cheap, so keep that in mind if it matters to you.) It'll otherwise be too tight on the sides and the mirror will, in my opinion, be oddly "off-centered" from the sink.

Photobucket

Photobucket

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here