Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mrspete

Space-saving vanity /Sink that projects forward?

mrspete
9 years ago

I've seen shallow vanities (perhaps 10" deep?) with bathroom sinks projecting forward over the edge of the vanity. I've seen them called Space-Saving vanities, but they may go by other names as well.

I'm thinking I'd like them. They'd have space enough to store toiletries, etc. -- though not towels. I'm thinking they'd make the room feel more open.

Does anyone have any experience with these shallow vanities?

Comments (14)

• lookintomyeyes83
    9 years ago

My sister has one, in a bathroom that *barely* met the width requirements for a bathroom. I'd agree it makes the room comfortable. They are reasonably OK, though they have reduced counter space (much like a pedestal sink).
    She can fit toilet paper underneath, some cleaners, but i dont believe she puts any towels under there.

• emma
    9 years ago

I would not like that style. I want room for storage items so I don't have to run to another bathroom or a closet for the items I store under the sinks. I would also worry about the sink sticking out leaving an edge that were vulnerable to being chipped and broken.

• sloyder
    9 years ago

are you thinking of a sink like this one. Better Homes and Gardens in their small bathroom book had one of these with a vanity to put small things.

Here is a link that might be useful: sink

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I spent this past week in Germany and one of my hotels had this style vanity. It didn't stick out quite as much as the one sloyd posted above--it stuck out maybe four inches from the vanity. I remember thinking what a good idea it was to use such a sink/vanity in a small bathroom. A bonus is that less water gets on the vanity top.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

I spent this past week in Germany and one of my hotels had this style vanity. It didn't stick out quite as much as the one sloyd posted above--it stuck out maybe four inches from the vanity. I remember thinking what a good idea it was to use such a sink/vanity in a small bathroom. A bonus is that less water gets on the vanity top.

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I've seen them at Home Depot. Totally cute! Stylish and it would compliment ANY bath.....do it...!

• mrspete
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yes, that picture is just what I was considering.

Here's my whole thought process:

- I like the idea of "less cabinet" because of the open feeling it allows. I'm building modest-sized bathrooms.
    - I'm going to have a linen closet, so I'll have storage for towels, etc.
    - The front portion of the vanity is more useful anyway because the stuff is more visible.
    - I can't see going with a pedestal sink because 1) it doesn't allow for any countertop, and I do want to be able to set out my curling iron and so forth. 2) it gives NO storage in the vanity, and I do want some small drawers for make-up and the like.

Design bonus: I've already decided to use penny round tile in this bathroom . . . and a "rounded front sink" will mimic the shape.

I did notice that the ones at Lowe's varied in size; that is, some stuck way out (I suppose those cabinets were smaller), while others only protruded a few inches.

I had not considered the possibility that the sink would be less protected /would be more venerable to knicks and such. I think this would be most likely to happen if we were ever to use a walker or wheelchair in the bathroom. I mean, I assume you'd have to have something relatively hard to damage a sink, and I pretty much only carry towels and shampoo bottles around my sink now.

I think I'm fairly well sold on this concept.

Thanks for the input!

• nosoccermom
    9 years ago

They are European style. Their advantage a.o. is that the sink is more easily accessible (your knees don't get caught on the vanity underneath) and therefore less splashing on the counter top.
    US style vanities are actually more recent in Germany. Used to be either pedestal sinks, and more recently, wall mounted, or the vanity and the sink sticking out.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

We put one in our very skinny bathroom in the late 1990s. I got it at HD or Lowes. I remember having a heck of a time getting the overflow tube to sync up with the rest of the plumbing - it was a hard rubber cylinder that I had to situate between two other hard rubber cylinders and then clamp them tightly together without any leaks between them. I remember trying with and without plumbers putty, washing off plumber's putty, tightening with everything we had, and still having leaks. I even called a plumber, who refused to work on it, calling it non-standard. I think we just kept trying until it stopped leaking.

We loved that sink! The cabinet had just enough room for the TP storage and the bowl brush. Nothing could get lost in the depths of the the cabinet because there were no depths. The faucet I chose had a spout that swiveled, because we chose the sink thinking that both of us could get ready in the morning at the same time, sharing the sink. All I had to do was steal the faucet away from my shaving husband for a moment to wet my toothbrush, then return it to his position until I needed it again. Even though the sink was about 29" across, we could each stand on one side of the protruding belly of the sink and do our morning routine.

Now I am looking to remodel a slightly larger bathroom to be wheelchair-friendly in case I ever end up using one, part or full-time. I have a body-wide joint disorder. I am looking at sinks that belly out like this, but that have narrow cabinets, due to the need for floorspace for that possible wheelchair.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

I forgot to say that I increased our counterspace by having a piece of marble-like windowsill material cut the same length of the sink cabinet, which was wedged between a tall skinny cabinet and an over-the-toilet tank shelf that had panels next to the toilet going down to the floor. I wedged that windowsill in there and got two little pine shelf brackets to hold the shelf with. Before I painted the shelf brackets, I put two pieces of wood on the brackets that did not quite go back to the back edges. This created a little gap between this wood piece that the shelf rested on and the wall. The space was just big enough for the clock and toothbrush cords. I installed the shelf just above the outlet, fed the cords in this gap in the brackets before setting the shelf down, and had a way to get the cords out of the way when they went from the only outlet to the right of the sink, to the shelves to the left of the sink, above the toilet! That 3" shelf doubled our counter space and was unobtrusive there, just above the height of the faucet.

• dekeoboe
    9 years ago

- I can't see going with a pedestal sink because 1) it doesn't allow for any countertop, and I do want to be able to set out my curling iron and so forth. 2) it gives NO storage in the vanity, and I do want some small drawers for make-up and the like.

Have you seen any of this style that has the small drawers you want? I have never seen any with drawers, I thought the cabinet is too shallow to have drawers.

• Oaktown
    9 years ago

Consider a console or pedestal and put your stuff in a wall cabinet . . . or baskets on shelves . . . think of the floor space . . . join the dark side . . . :-)

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

Drawers and doors. The Adara 47" by Ronbow. They also make it in 31".

Here is a link that might be useful: Ronbow Adara

• southofsa
    9 years ago

If the sink in sloyd's post above is a kohler, most likely it's the one I have sitting in a box waiting to get installed on top of the vanity that's sitting in my living room waiting for it's last coat of paint. (I keep telling myself- enjoy the process).

Some things to keep in mind before you make up your mind:

They're made to go with a top that doesn't overhang the cabinet. I don't know how to explain it well but the way it's configured underneath makes getting a top fabricated any other way a huge pain. Ultimately I did with granite because I didn't want water dripping down the front of the vanity (I'm not super careful with stuff when I'm waking up) but it was $750 just for the fabrication (I used a piece of granite left over from a previous project and was lucky to find someone willing to take the time to do it). He also hesitated because he was worried the granite would break at the edges during fabrication so don't pick a fragile countertop material. If you want a flat front vanity this is a non issue.

My vanity is 17" deep and 48" wide. Why? Because initially we were "only" going to replace the vanity and that was the footprint of the tile that was there. That was before we found the mold and it became down to the studs remodel. Having said that there are two deep drawers on either side of the basin for my blow dryer and makeup, a recessed medicine cabinet behind the mirror, and a large linen closet within arm's reach. I think it'll be fine, but haven't tested it yet.

For my small bathroom I think it's a great way to free up floor space, but figure out the vanity part before you make a final decision. And as far as chipping, anything' possible I guess, but I'm probably more likely to chip the granite than the sink. I don't think either is likely with what I keep in a bathroom.

Lisa

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES