Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can anyone think of a better bathroom layout?

Posted by LongTimeLurker (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 20, 13 at 18:03

We're trying to squish a master bath with shower (the other upstairs bath has a tub) into our master bedroom. Due to placement of windows, this funny long skinny rectangle is the best we could do. Expanding the bath to take up the whole window along the right side of the diagram would leave us too little bedroom.

That said, the layout is pretty bad -- the door to the bath opens directly onto the toilet, which is also centered in the window. To make it worse, the door into the bedroom is directly across from that, giving a clear line of sight from the upstairs hall straight through to the toilet when doors are open.

I personally don't think the option of hanging a mirror in front of the window would work for me as I have enough trouble with glare already, so that makes it hard to put the vanity under the window and the toilet where the vanity is now.
And closing up the window would require too much exterior work what with matching the cedar siding.

So, with those constraints, is there some better way to arrange things that I'm not thinking of? What about if I get a large enough mirror that it blocks the window altogether?
This is the best we and our contractor could come up with. Thanks in advance!

photo masterbathplanbmp_zps30177b3a.png

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can anyone think of a better bathroom layout?

Do you need that wide out a countertop for the vanity. We had a similar situation and went with a 36" vanity next to the toilet. With a pocket door in front of the vanity opening to the right.

o

Recommended toilet space is 36", minimum is 30" that would leave 15" to 21" for the sink. Here is a link you can check out. There is another article on the website that speaks to small bathrooms I think.

Here is a link that might be useful: illustrated rules of good bathroom design

o

A minor adjustment to the layout, moving the door and rotating the sink:

The following leaves the door where you had it, but moves the toilet out from under the window and puts the sink there instead. I'd make it a pedestal sink to make the space in front of the door more open. Add storage in the back left corner as indicated.

And moving the door to the sidewall, creating a sort of galley bathroom. It brings all the plumbing and vents to the inside walls which is a positive, but also puts the toilet on the shared bedroom wall which can be a negative.

o

Oh my God Mongoct, those are amazing!! Thank you so much! I feel silly for not thinking of your first option--a small change like moving the door would help a lot. And I'm not even going to ask you how you were able to manipulate the drawing like that. Are you a designer?

o

No, he's SuperMan :)

o

I like mongo's second drawing quite a lot. It's so visually pleasing to center a pedestal sink on the window, and will offer a lovely sightline from the hallway. It's interesting how much more gracious it is than the other layouts.

o

Thanks for the kind words. Enduring, I think "StuporMan" may be more appropriate than superman. lol

LTL, I simply converted your drawing to a jpg then used the stamp tool in photoshop to make the alternative views of your original design. Fast and furious, it took maybe 10 minutes to do the three versions.

As you can see, you can do a lot of flipping and flopping to the layout. Moving the door to the sidewall will probably require a smaller door. But it's simply a matter of you analyzing how you'll use the room and what will work best for you.

If you did put the sink in front of the window, a simple option is leaving the window "as is" and using a top-down, bottom-up pleated shade inside the window. They come in near-sheer to almost opaque materials. The TDBU shades are great for bathrooms, as you can have the bottom down to the sill but drop the top down a bit to still allow some light but eliminate sight lines into the bathroom from outside.

Then you can install a mirror in front of the shade as needed.

And for a somewhat offbeat solution for the window and mirror, leave the window "as is" and simply add mirror panes over the existing glass panes. It would give a look similar to the "mirrored window" on the end wall of this tub:

If you have a window similar to the one above, you could even mirror the bottom nine panes for your "mirror" and leave the top three panes open for natural light.

And, no I'm not a designer. Today I'm a leaf-raker. Time to go outside and do some yard work...

Good luck with your project.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here