Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

staggered or stacked?

lisadlu
10 years ago

I keep going back and forth if we should stagger or stack the tile in our shower. We have 10x16 white shiny tile in a basketweave type texture (looks just like Meridian by Porcelanosa). The floors will be white/grey pebbles and we are going to do a band of pebbles going horizontally around the shower. White grout for the tiles and gray for the pebbles. Our shower measures 36x60, would you stagger or stack? Thanks!

Comments (34)

• petepie
    10 years ago

If you have the old shower surround in place, draw the patters on it using washable markers and step back to look. Really helped me with pattern and tile size choice.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I chose stacked wherever I had a choice.
    I think the "rules" say that stacked has a more contemporary look and staggered is more traditional - maybe that kind of explanation (if you agree) can help you.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I haven't decided which to do either. I have drawn both plans up (to the 1/32 of an inch I am sure). I know that the stacked is supposed to look more contemporary/modern, but I kind of want the staggered. I go back and forth. My room is on the contemporary/modern side of style. But I put my floor in staggered and really like it. Though nothing else is in the room yet. The vanity and cabinets are being made and they are definitely modern. I will probably wait until the vanity and cabinets are installed to make the final decision on the shower surround. Heck we can wait a few more months to use the shower, we've waited this long :)

• a1an
    10 years ago

What's the look of the hardware. Modern, Traditional.
    I'd say stacked if it's Modern/ Contemp

Staggared if the latter.

IMO, they provide 2 completely different looks if not FEEL of the room. Don't forget, color of group will also effect the FEEL of the room when all said and done

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We staggered 12x24s in the tub/shower of a contemporary bathroom. It looks great.

Look at the pictures in this thread - some staggered, some not, all all contemporary.

Here is a link that might be useful: Staggered tile pictures

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone! Seems a lot of you also struggled with this decision too. :)

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Just finished doing a similar shower...12x24 on the walls and pebbles on the floor. First, let me say, I hate the "pebbled floor," but that's what she wanted. I find them uncomfortable and use LOTS of grout there....but, your money, your project.

I really like the "staggered" or "running bond" design. Looks great and tends to make the shower look larger.

Find your center point on the back wall and start from there. The cuts you make to the side walls should "wrap" and continue to the outer edges or bullnose on the vertical ends.

I must mention that the walls should be very flat & plumb with that size tile. Some extra time spent there is priceless. Also, sight down the edge of your tiles to determine how flat they are....some are quite "bowed" and this causes issues as far as "lippage" goes. If they are bowed, where the ends meet the middle of the previous row, you'll have high & low spots.

Take your time and post some pictures......

• enduring
    10 years ago

I've heard that people have had problems with drainage on rounded pebble floors. The water can pool in the irregular grout surfaces.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Exactly right. Even double the 1/4" per foot slope for normal shower floors would not be excessive, IMHO.

• enduring
    10 years ago

StoneTech, are your referring to my comment about poor floor drainage with the rounded pebble mosaics? If you are what is the typical slope for tiled floors compared with what you recommend with the pebble floor. Of course if I am responding to your post in error, let me know :)

• M_N_A
    10 years ago

lisadlu can you share the brand and name of the tile similar to Meridian by Porcelanosa? what is the cost?

I would like staggered usually. but the waving basket pattern looks better when it's stacked

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Enduring~ Yes, I'm referring to the shower floor. A standard shower floor tile of 2x2's or 4x4's requires a slope of a MINIMUM 1/4" per linear foot from the drain to the farthest corner. For wall tile consistency, this should extend all the way around the shower, although the slope will, by necessity be somewhat higher on the shorter "runs." (course, I'm sure you know that...)

With a pebbled floor, I'll not go any LESS than 1/2" per foot for the drainage issues you mentioned. In a decent sized shower, you could even go a tad more, particularly if the rocks are are rounded and sit pretty high.....

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks StoneTech. I'm so glad I went with a cast iron pan, (all that figurin' is done for me ;) But seriously, I really mean this. I have seen my fair share of botched tile shower pans on this forum, and since I am a DIY with my tile, I didn't want to be one of the casualties. With the help of your input, and others I have learned a lot and feel comfortable that the floors and walls I've done are done right. Thanks.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Great to have you here, Endearing. You oughta join up at the premier Tile Forum, John Bridge dot com and have some fun with us! ("Lazarus" there...)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Hi StoneTech, the name's enduring, not endearing. LOL. The "enduring" name is related to how I think design should be viewed, that is of lasting quality. And I am over on the JB forum once in a while with the same name. I've seen you post over there. You have been very helpful.

edited to say to StoneTech, I still haven't decided on Stacked or Staggered. I really like staggered, though my cabinets will be modern. We will see :)

This post was edited by enduring on Sun, Nov 17, 13 at 19:09

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

LOL....I think the staggered IS a bit modern....well, at least it's "timeless."

Oh, and "Endearing" IS "Enduring!"

• enduring
    10 years ago

Stonetech, so the staggered is modern? I thought it was more of a traditional look. If the stagger is at 50%, does that make it more traditional, and the 33% more modern, because of the large format and warpage?

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

the one third stagger seems to be more the "norm," not only for aesthetics but also for the larger foremat and lippage.....

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

MNA - The similar tile is a field tile and all my invoice says is "10x16 Rhythm", but the box did say Made in Mexico so I know it is not the same quality as the Meridian. I decided to stagger the tile and it looks great! He finishes up the pebble band tomorrow and then the grouting begins.

• enduring
    10 years ago

So you went staggered, so glad you like it. I would love to see it. You will have to post a picture when you're done. Can't wait to see it.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here is a photo of our finished shower, just needs faucet installed and to be sealed. You will have to tilt your head to see it since I can't figure out how to rotate the photo! We used white grout on the wall tile and platinum on the pebbles. I am very pleased it is done! Now we start on the guest bathroom Monday. :)

• enduring
    10 years ago

Very nice! I love the color of the stone and the details of the listello and the nook. Enjoy your new bathroom. Thanks for sharing.

• raehelen
    10 years ago

That is nice! Any of the photo-hosting sites should have a simple editing tool, look for something with a curly arrow, which usually signifies turning 90 degrees. I have been suffering from vertigo for a couple of months, so have to be really careful about tilting my head (and looking up, and holding my hands above my head...all so much fun when you're renovating!). Love the look of that pebble with the white. Will be curious to see how you like the feel of pebbles underfoot.

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

Unless the drain is supposed to be on the wall or the ceiling, the picture didn't need to be rotated on my iPhone!

• kirkhall
    10 years ago

(only the i-devices know when an ipicture was taken rotated. I've seen some upside-down ones on these sites, and the person swears they are right side up... Only if you have an i-device.)

• debinnh
    10 years ago

I guess it is a matter of what you like. I went with stacked.

• debinnh
    10 years ago

Here is the other side of the shower

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debinnh - I love your shower! :)

• debinnh
    10 years ago

thanks! I love it too :)

• Nattygirl6
    9 years ago

I'm thinking of going with the meridian blanco tile for my bathroom remodel. This is going to be in my boys bathroom, so I want something that requires little maintenance. How is yours holding up? I'm concerned with the difficulty of cleaning this kind of tile because of the grooves that the weave design has. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Nattygirl - I've had no problem keeping this basket weave type of tile clean. The weave is not deep enough to be an issue, I've see no difference keeping this clean vs. a flat surface tile. :)

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

Debinnh, what tile is that. Looks like something I was going to use.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I am having the same dilemma and I am thinking of running the tiles north-south and staggering them. I have a window in the mix which complicates everything.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz