Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Car wax on glass shower door

Posted by janet400 (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 19, 08 at 17:34

I have read on here that you can apply car wax on shower doors to help the water run off. Has anyone actually tried this? I hate to ruin the new door. Thanks in advance for any experiences. Janet

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Car wax on glass shower door

I've also heard of people using RainX on the shower doors. When we had our new door installed I asked the installer about both - he said to not do it. Both put a "waxy" type of surface on the glass. It may make the shower floor slick, and he just didn't see a huge benefit to it. He felt a quick squiggie on the door and you'd be fine. Both of those products then make the door more difficult to clean. I choose to just wipe the door down after each shower and once a week go over it with a windex type of product.

o

The manufacturer of my fiberglass tub (can't recall which company off hand) recommends paste wax every 6 months to protect the finish. I've never tried it on a shower door though.

o

A shower door is made out of glass. You can wax it. Wax will not ruin the door. If you polish it appropriately, there will not be any waxy film. If you have ever waxed your own car, you know that if you rub it out properly, there will be no haze, only a shiny finish that repels water. I have used wax on my shower and like how it works. The wax will not run off the door and onto the shower floor. That being said, you'll probably still have to squeegee it or wipe it down with a towel after showering if you want absolutely no spots. But there will be a lot less water to move around because most will simply run off.

o

I used Rain-X and it is working out well after 3 months. There is not a lot of water splashing on the glass, but what does get on the glass beads and wipes off easily. I am not seeing any residue problems when the glass dries. There are no clouding or cleaning problems. I plan to continue using Rain-X.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here