Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
execassistant

Medicine Chest Size

Debbie Laird
9 years ago

I'm so confused....I've been busy with tape measure and my walls are all marked up! Will the mirror is the pic, regular size 17 x 25 be/look too small on a 51" wall/cove? I'd like to add a sconce on each side. That will leave about 8" between the ganite backsplash and the mirror. Does that sound reasonable or is the mirror too small? How does that measure up to yours? XL mirror is 21 x 34. If I need to go XL is 12" enough space for a sconce?

Comments (10)

• Errant_gw
    9 years ago

Try doing a mock-up of each size with tin foil. The medicine cabinet on my side wall is 16x26, and I would not want to have to get ready with that being my nay mirror.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Good idea and good point. I tried the tin foil and the bigger mirror will not be too big and I think it will make the bathroom appear larger. The vanity is substantial, so I think it is needed too. I'm ordering tonight. Thanks!

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I am looking at exactly the same medicine cabinet and the reason why I am getting the smaller one (16 x 20") is because the cabinet will fit between the existing studs. The width of the larger one a is more than 14.5"; therefore, if your studs are 16" apart, your carpenter will have to modify your studs to make it fit into the wall. Getting a taller cabinet is not a problem, but a wider cabinet might mean more installation work.. At least this was so in my case.

• enduring
    9 years ago

my medicine cabinet is 24" by 39" over a 60" vanity. It looks fine. But it is extra tall. I have 2 scones on each side. They take up 5" width each.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jerzeegirl and Enduring. Enduring, how much space is between backsplash and mirror? Is there a minimum or maximum to consider? I will have an outlet, but I don't believe it will be in the way. Seems that vanities and mirrors are all about personal preference.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Jerzeegirl and Enduring. Enduring, how much space is between backsplash and mirror? Is there a minimum or maximum to consider? I will have an outlet, but I don't believe it will be in the way. Seems that vanities and mirrors are all about personal preference.

• Debbie Laird
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

If you surface mount the cabinet then there's no problem but the cabinet you picked is a recessed cabinet which means it has to be inset into the wall.

• Nancy in Mich
    9 years ago

lodalady, I would suggest you spend time looking at remodeled bathrooms here or at Houzz. I think that it is an entirely personal decision, though, as long as you clear any tall faucets and think about anything that might be sitting below the cabinet on the counter when the door swings open. I have an incredibly tall hair spray can that would have to be out of the way....Luckily I do not use it often!

Love your choice of med cabinets, it is a classic.

• enduring
    9 years ago

I put my cabinet high enough to clear the faucet handle when in the on position and what it might look like on the wall in the 8' tall room. My outlet is to the left of the mirror and out of sight in this photo. I have an outlet in the cabinet too.