Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
likewhatyoudo

linen closet in bathroom? How wide?

likewhatyoudo
9 years ago

I am working on my Master bathroom design again!

I would like a linen closet in the design.

I have 9' 1" of wall space and a 10 foot high ceiling to put my double sink vanity and a linen cabinet. I would like at least a 72 inch vanity and a linen closet on that wall. To do something like the picture below how wide of a space would I need for the linen closet to get this look? With 36 inches left for the built-in cabinet could I get a 30 inch wide one?

I love the look of this set up:

This post was edited by rtwilliams on Tue, Nov 11, 14 at 17:28

Comments (16)

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Yes, a 30" cabinet would fit into a 36" space.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So with 36 inches of space with only 3 inches of drywall on each side you don't think it would look like it was too crowded?

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

Why would you drywall it in on both sides? I'd connect it on the one side with the vanity cabinet.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I'd connect it on the one side with the vanity cabinet.

That's exactly what we did in our previous house - no wall/drywall in between, so the linen cabinet was 36" wide (I think - it's been awhile). I did have glass doors on the top (rain pattern), the bottom was split - half for a pull-out hamper and half for drawers. Sorry I don't have any pictures.

• llcp93
    9 years ago

I agree on attaching it to the cabinet and no dry wall on that side. You are loosing space you could have in your cabinet. In fact, we are demo-ing our vanity/linen cabinet that is just what you are wanting to build, so we can attach extend the vanity top and attach it directly. We are also loosing the furdown.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

I'm linking photos of our Master Bath. We don't have quite as much wall space as you do but are pleased with the linen cabinet which is 22.5" wide by 8 feet high. Vanity is just over 5 feet wide and we have a medicine cabinet recessed into a wall separating the vanity and linen cabinet. Frosted glass in the linen cabinet doors disguises any disorganization while enhancing the overall look. A local cabinet maker built both pieces to maximize use of the available space.

We also have a large linen closet in the main hallway.

Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bathroom

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fnmroberts - That looks awesome! Exactly the look I want to achieve. I like the separation of the linen wall from the vanity. I think my 30 inches will be plenty big - I might do 27" instead.

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

rtwilliams

Glad I could offer some helpful input. We updated this bathroom more than two years ago. Original builder linen closet was just wire shelves behind bi-fold doors and it was awful - nothing would stand and lots of inaccessible or wasted space. Shelves in this one are adjustable.

Cabinet maker built the two pieces with same drawer sizes on lower section so they would coordinate. We left a tow-kick off the linen cabinet thus providing a location for stowing our scale.

Good luck.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

fnmroberts - "We left a tow-kick off the linen cabinet thus providing a location for stowing our scale. "

That is brilliant!! I will be using that little tip for sure. I love having a bathroom scale available but not out all the time.

• Gracie
    9 years ago

I noticed that too. Does a Swiffer fit under it?

• fnmroberts
    9 years ago

may flowers - if your comment is for me, yes. Actually I can get the vacuum brush in. Also, the bottom of the cabinet has a large opening if the drawer is removed making cleaning easy.

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

I can't believe I found this - I am debating switching my photo site from Google+ (formerly Picasa) to another. Well, I used to have a Photobucket account, so I logged in, and there were my pictures of my old house!

So here's a picture of my old bathroom, with the linen closet cabinet I described. I had forgotten that we made it shallower and there was counter in front of it. We didn't actually store linens in there - it was more for miscellaneous stuff. You can see, though, that the rainglass kept the interior mostly obscured.

• likewhatyoudo
    Original Author
    9 years ago

sjhockeyfan- thanks for finding the picture. I was recently looking at some of the pictures of my last house on photobucket, funny how you forget the details.

I see how that set up would give me more space to not have the built in linen closet.

I have DH on board now for the master bath remodel!

• mrspete
    9 years ago

How wide is enough? My linen closet is only 24" wide. It's enough. I have a hamper on the bottom, two towels in the middle for towels, and a shelf on top for extra blankets. I would like to have more space, but this is enough.

My favorite thing: The hamper is hidden away.

Now, as for style, I love your picture. It's so much prettier than my plain door. I do have a couple thoughts:

- Since you have 10' ceilngs, I'd go with a solid door at the top. This'd allow you to hide blankets, pillows, whatever.
    - I do like the opaque glass. I'm not always neat.
    - I don't think you need drywall on the side . . . in fact, why does your picture show a FULL WALL between the vanity and the cabinet? Why couldn't they save space by simply putting the cabinet against the sink? Those are questions for the cabinet maker.

This post was edited by MrsPete on Mon, Nov 17, 14 at 20:21

• Melissa Smith
    2 years ago

I-- lol, this is underrated