Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Do the baths in your house have a consistent 'look'?

Posted by toomanychoices (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 27, 11 at 16:58

What started as a master bath remodel has expanded into doing our master bath plus the bathroom in our basement apartment (don't ask :-). So, when this adventure is over, all three of the bathrooms in our 1950s ranch will be updated...at least that's the plan. We did our guest/hall bath several years ago and it is a variation of black and white (link below). For our master bath, I'm thinking a more modern look with travertine-looking tiles and modern fixtures. However, I'm stumped about what type of look to go with in the basement bathroom. I'm thinking of a retro look with white subway tiles and pinwheel or octagonal floors, but is that too crazy with the other bathrooms in the house? Any other suggestions? All I know is that we're not going to stick with the pink tile that's currently there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Hall/guest bath

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Do the baths in your house have a consistent 'look'?

Love your hall bath!

Each of the bathrooms in my house has its own personality. I think a bathroom should go with the rooms around it, not with the other bathrooms in the house.

o

Each of our bathrooms is quite different, too. The only similarity is that they all have simple, clean lines, which goes with the look of our house.

o

Ours are all different, but all three are contemporary in style. We had the same style vanity made for all 3 (one wider, the other two are the same size) and used the same style sinktop for each as well. We used different wood for the larger one, different stain colors for each one, and different hardware for each one. The color schemes are different, as is most of the tile. I think the added "touches" really help distinguish each bathroom's personality.

o

I think if they have the same "feel" they will work together. The subway tile and the pinwheel or octagonal tile that you use downstairs would also "work" in that hall bath. That's what I mean.

Your hall bath is really nice.

I gel stained all the vanities in my house a really dark espresso. They have all been updated with hardware that is some sort of satin nickel (they don't match from room to room). They all have a "zen" vibe going. Except the gel stained cabinets, they don't have anything else in common, but yet they all feel similar. Bamboo floor in master bathroom and porcelain tile in hall.

I have photos of my master and of the hall bath, to show you what I mean:

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Mine are all different. The basement which is new has 12 x 24 tiles and an expresso bamboo vanity, and modern fixtures. My kid's bath is similar to Bee's, dark 12 x 24 tile floor, expresso stained vanity and it has orange walls. We haven't gotten to the master but that will be more traditional as will the main floor powder room. I like to have some surprises in my baths with color and style.

Bee, where did you get the shower surround. I need to get one for a new basement bath and replace the one in the master but I don't want to spend 2K on a custom bath. Did you keep your original tiles in the master shower? It looks great!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here