Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mary3456

Carrara marble vs Calacutta

mary3456
10 years ago

Hi all. Sorry to keep posting about my bath remodel, but I am still undecided what tile to use.

I would like the result to be bright and modern, but not necessarily trendy. I thought marble countertop and floors, with glass mosaic tile in a solid pale green (or solid white with green niches etc) for shower.

My questions are: Is there a difference in durability of Carrara marble vs Calacutta? Will one hold up better in the shower? There is currently a 53 yr old Calacutta bench in the shower that looks ok to me. No staining.

Comments (2)

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

Hi Mary,

I am in no way a stone expert but true Carrara and true Calacatta are from the same region in Italy. There should be no difference in durability and maintenance. It's more a matter of aesthetic, The backgroubd of Carrara is much more grey whereas Calacatta is white.

There are Chinese and Indian versions called Carrara and Calacatta - they're usually spelled slightly different and are very crystalline in appearance. They look nothing like the smooth appearance of Italian marble. I've been told that they are much softer and more prone to chipping, scratching and even in some cases crumbling. There's a YouTube video of a tile setter trying to cut Chinese Carrara trim pieces and its crumbling like chalk.

Hope this helps!

• zenya
    10 years ago

I don't think there are big differences, just make sure it is sealed and resealed every year or two.
    Although typical stains in shower are yellowish, so it can be little more hidden within Calacatta veins than Carrara.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow stains on Carrara

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!