Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
briankk_gw

Shower ceiling tile or plaster advice needed

BrianKK
10 years ago

We are in the midst of redoing a 1953 bathroom. The walls and ceiling are plaster with a ?mortar? backing over metal netting. We gutted the bottom four feet of the walls and entire tiled shower/bath area. We put up vapor barrier (.6 mil black plastic) with half inch durock over the barrier.

We have only one bath - so its a conversion and working bath simultaneously.

My dilemma is to (a) strip and repaint the shower ceiling or (b) to durock and tile it. While I prefer the tile option, My question is about vapor barrier protection on the ceiling. Is it needed considering that there has not been a vapor barrier there for 50+ years (the bath was original) when placing tile on the ceiling?

If the answer is yes, any advice if the vapor barrier can go between the existing plaster and durock?

The attached picture shows how the ceiling is exposed. The plastic in the picture is temporary - so that we can take quick showers while we wait to tile. There is durock under the temporary plastic with the actual vapor barrier below the durock. (Please don't think we put the vapor barrier ABOVE the durock!)

Thanks
B

Comments (6)