Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
loves2read

Rankin/rating on-line sites to buy fixtures/tile?

loves2read
9 years ago

I am shopping for plumbing fixtures and maybe tile for master bath remodel.
I have read on Terry Love's site that they don't recommend buying toilets online for various reasons--including damage in shipping and the "support-your-local-merchant/plumber" ethos...

Just wondered if anyone had recommendations for sites you had used for fixtures or tile or lighting where you got a quality product at a quality price.-- as well as delivery on time w/o damage...
of course part of that is shippers' problem but if not packed correctly then anything could cause damage...

For plumbing items especially I wouldn't want to get big-box quality thinking it was better...

Appreciate any insight you care to share...

Comments (6)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Lowe's on Central Sarasota Parkway for toilets and fixtures and the tile place on Cattlemen Road across from Home Depot.

• kats737
    9 years ago

I have used the "build.com network of sites" and had good experience with venting, lighting, and faucet direct.

I was so tempted to get a toilet online from signature hardware, but was very wary of shipping process and had a hard time getting info on the specific brand. What worked for me was looking at manufacturer websites and finding a local dealer. I was pleasantly surprised to find the price they had in their showroom was comparable to reputable online retailers. And their service was great.

I had such a hard time with plumbing. Even looking at the manufacturer websites was a bust because few places listed as retailers for delta/moen actually wanted to sell them. They were trying to sell me on elite brands when I said my budget was only $400. I ended up falling in love with a discontinued danze trim set from faucet direct and was happy with their service. I also used faucet direct for my sink faucet that was only sold online.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I was the "project manager" for my daughter's recent bathroom remodel and now am now just about finished with my son's. For both remodels I priced everything out on efaucets.com and Faucetdirect.com but ended up going to a local plumbing supply company. They used to be wholesale only but now sell direct to the public. They matched all prices from the online sites. The sales consultant was extremely knowledgable and helpful. There was no charge for delivery and when I returned an extra towel bar there was no restocking fee.
    If you happen to live in the Midwest check out First Supply. They have 28 locations.

Before finding out that the local company matched prices my brother ordered his plumbing supplies including the sink and toilet form efaucets. I have read some bad reviews about them but my brother had no problems with them. Everything arrived quickly and in perfect condition.

• loves2read
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Geo zone for this is Sarasota FL area so not close to MidWest--
    Have tried buying stuff from big box stores and don't think would go there although I know that DalTile is source for some of the subway tile there...
    might try that since we want to use a plain white subway in the shower..

Has anyone tried National Builder Supply?

• lcm_maine
    9 years ago

I have tried many as we are working our way through mudroom/bathroom/kitchen/bathroom/bathroom/etc.. I have had good luck using Home Depot's online site, with which I feel comfortable because I can resolve problems locally. We have ordered a bunch of Daltile of various types, faucets, and just recently a Kohler toilet with no issues. Shipping has been quick and items have arrived safely either to my home or the store.

I have also used Wayfair.com although they are catch-as-catch-can for plumbing and tile -- some things they just don't carry. However, they have great customer service. After ordering a lot of various items I got an e-mail out of the blue from a sales person who identified herself as my "renovation consultant." I tested her by asking about a medicine cabinet installation kit that wasn't on their website although the cabinets were. She tracked it down and I got it in a few days. Other minor issues have also been resolved quickly, such as my ordering bathroom sinks in the wrong color by accident -- I had the replacement sinks even before they could have received the ones I sent back, no restocking charge, and they even restored my rewards points.

They are based in New England so shipping has been very quick for me in Maine but shouldn't be bad to Florida.

• suzanne_sl
    9 years ago

I ordered our Kohler Villager bathtub from Amazon. It got here in good condition, but given the packing job, that was a miracle. When we did the kitchen, I ordered the large Kraus sink from expressdecor.com. I'd order from them again without hesitation. Other stuff we did locally.