Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lisadlu

A roofer to waterproof the shower????

lisadlu
10 years ago

My tile guy starts the demo of my shower tomorrow. He said he will be using a roofer, and if I understood him correctly, for something to do with the waterproofing. Is anyone aware why a roofer might be used during a tile shower install? When I had another shower installed 5 years ago no roofer was involved. This guy comes highly recommended but this sounds strange. He also doesn't use pea gravel around the drain weep holes because he says they could eventually move and block the weepholes (this sounds plausible). Any ideas on the roofer? I'm hoping I haven't made a mistake with this guy.

Comments (12)

• live_wire_oak
    10 years ago

Sounds goofy to me! Wait! You're not doing a hot mop shower are you? If so, don't. Say goodbye and find someone else.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have no idea. No I am worried.

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

Are you in CA? I had the same thought as LWO, a hot mop.

"Gravel moving"? Now THAT statement has me worried. It's the open spaces between the stone within the handful of pea gravel that keep the weepholes open. The pea gravel will be locked in place when the mud is packed in around them. It's not like they'll be free to move around as if they are inside of a baby's rattle.

If he's using a roofer to install a sheet membrane, make sure he's not using an asphalt-based roofing membrane in the shower. Typically a shower sheet membrane is either CPVC or CPE. Chlorinated polyvinyl chloride or chlorinated polyethylene.

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am in SoCal. After initially freaking out about this, I have been researching it online for the last hour. Seems like hot mop is a CA thing (my last shower was in NC). I have found good arguments for hot mop so I feel better about moving forward. Guess the bad part will be the smell on hot mop day. Regarding the pea gravel on weep holes I'm thinking there might be a different method because of the hot mop procedure, and last week he told me he would demonstrate what he is talking about when he is here. Fingers crossed! Thanks all.

• bob_cville
    10 years ago

If both live_wire_oak and mongoct are saying no to the idea of a "hot mop" shower, that would be enough for me. Irrespective of anything the local contractor says about how long he has been doing them, and notwithstanding other online research supporting it, that would be enough for me ... the tile guy would be out the door.

In reading here over the years and on another well respected tile forum, (cough cough John Bridge) I have learned there are several ways to correctly construct a tile shower, and many, many more ways to construct a leaky tile shower. When they are done they often look the same ... until the hidden, ongoing water damage becomes evident.

• GreenDesigns
    10 years ago

Find a different contractor.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    10 years ago

Yes, there are newer waterproofing systems available, but the hot-mop has been around for years. Tried and true. Our original shower here in Silicon Valley was hot-mopped (four layers) back in 1978 and NEVER leaked even thru numerous earthquakes including the big one in '89. It is technique where they sandwich tar paper in boiling hot liquid tar in several layers using a steamy hot mop slapping that tar in a beautiful smooth black liquid seal that fills every nook and cranny. Liquid tar is used on flat factory roofs to keep rain out. Same stuff.

-Babka

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

We had a hot-mop shower on the SF peninsula and never had one single problem with it. We lived in that house for 26 years.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

Hot Mop is apparently restricted pretty much to California. I've never even SEEN one East of there. I understand that they hold up pretty well. if done correctly, but can be messy and they DO smell for a time. Nothing inherently wrong with them...just newer and (IMO) better methods out there.

• jacqueline5
    10 years ago

Our master bathroom, built nine years ago, was hot mopped. We are now having to remodel due to a leak in a valve in the wall (thank you Newport Brass for your expensive, garbage quality, no warrantee product - sorry! I digress, I'm still a little bitter). When we tore the shower out I was pleased to find there was absolutely no evidence of the hot mop membrane failing. This, despite the fact that our bathroom is on the 2nd story of a very tall house. We get a lot of wind, we're on a farm, there is no windbreak and the bathroom is on the north side of the house. Let me tell you, there is significant movement when 45 mph winds slam into the house. We just had the Lowen window guy out to readjust the huge awning window over the tub because it wouldn't open due to the house shifting. The hot mop, done right, fills every little nook and cranny. While obtaining bids for our remodel, I found that the younger the tile installer, the more likely they were to recommend some type of rubber or other membrane. Our experienced tile guy said he's only ripped out one shower in 25 years that had hot mop failure. He has his own hot pot and does it himself. He also uses red guard on the walls. Go for it!

• lisadlu
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for all the responses! This seems to be a "hot button" issue for many. I have found over my years as a homeowner that there are several ways to skin a cat and most people are fans of one way to the exclusion of anything else. If an installer is competent in his field than I think multiple methods can be successful no matter what the project is. Thanks all!

• MongoCT
    10 years ago

I've been off the forums for several days and just caught up to this thread.

bob_cville wrote: "If both live_wire_oak and mongoct are saying no to the idea of a "hot mop" shower, that would be enough for me."

I'm not necessarily saying "no" to a hot mop. They are indeed a CA thing, and when done properly (like all showers) they can be durable.

The thing is, there are guys that just do shower pan hot mops, they do them all day long, and they do them well. I'd ask questions about a "roofer" who is doing shower hot mops. Like anything, qualify the person doing the work. Just because he has the stink pot setup for roof work, doesn't mean he knows the tricks and techniques of hot mopping a shower membrane.

The last part of my post earlier in the week was to simply make sure that if he wasn't doing a hot mop, to make sure that some bone-headed roofer isn't using a roofing membrane as a shower membrane. They are different animals.

If the roofer is installing a no-kidding sheet shower membrane? Again, I'd qualify his work and experience. Why is a roofer moonlighting as a shower membrane guy?

If your tile guy is using a roofer that has done hundreds of hot mops and has done them well, he may very well be qualified and have experience. But in that case, he should be referred to as "the hot mop guy" and not as "a roofer".

I realize my follow-up is late, but I do hope all worked out well for you.