Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rufinorox

Bathroom Renovation - Ideas needed

rufinorox
12 years ago

we are planning a bathroom renovation and would like some ideas. Unfortunately, we will not be able to enlarge the space, so we have to work with what we have, which is 5x7. I was looking to do 8x12 floor tiles, but not sure the space is large enough for larger floor tiles. We are planning to tile around the window and go all the way up in the shower. As for the rest of the bathroom we will go 4 feet up the wall. I would like a glass accent and am planning to go with browns and beiges.

Any ideas or images will be helpful.

Thanks!

Comments (19)

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Aside from tile size and preferred colors, you don't provide thoughts as to what you are seeking to do - total gut, utilize existing fixtures or something in between.

Two winters ago, we updated a bath which measures 5 x 8, retaining the existing tub, WC and vanity (30" which we painted). Kept existing wall tile however will change it in the future.

What we did change was the flooring where we used 12 x 12 tile set on a diagonal. even though the area is only about 30 sq. ft., it seems to fit fine. Additionally, the medicine cabinet was removed and a larger one installed in place of the wall-mounted mirror, a train rack added for towel storage. New hardware too. A granite vanity top with undermounted basin and new faucet rounded the update along with a curved shower rod following removal of the by-pass glass tub enclosure.

Our color scheme has been drawn from the tile which contains gray with tan and rust. As I like to redecorate, wall tile outside the shower limits my changing wall colors should I choose. I'm linking photos which include before and after views. Commentary is below some pictures. Hope this helps, Good luck with your update.

Here is a link that might be useful: Updated Bathroom

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I forgot to mention we are doing a complete gut. We are adding all new fixtures, including tub and toilet. Fmnroberts ... Nice bathroom! You did a great job.

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

Maybe if I bump your post, others will add their suggestions. Thanks for the compliment.

From your photo, it appears the bath is a family or youth bathroom. Only additional thought I have is, consider making the space a wet room by having a waterproof membrane installed under your floor tile. If the floor is cold, of course warming the floor is always nice.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks fmroberts. Actually it's our only bathroom And no kids in our home, so we'd like to make is as adult as we can, but kid friendly. I was considering heated flooring.

Thanks for the bump. I hope to get more suggestions.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

Heat the floor, makes a huge difference when stepping out of the shower on the cool mornings. Love that feature in my bathrooms.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jgopp, Definitely considering it. Did you install yourself or have it professinally installed?

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

If you want it adult, then ditch the tub and replace with a two-person shower.

• jgopp
    12 years ago

ruf: I don't partake in construction regarding my home. It is just too old to do some things myself and I need things done right the first time. I basically become 'project manager and designer' for the time that it is being done. I have a contractor that I absolutely love and have used for almost all my renovations (going on 15 years now). Although, I saw how the heated floor was installed in the bathrooms and the side entryway and it doesn't seem very complicated if you're handy.

I agree with fnmroberts that the shower should be a walk in "adult" shower. I'd go with rainshower function if you're into that, something I wish I had done after finishing the master.

• sserra85
    12 years ago

2 cents here... Since you mentioned it is your only bath, I would not remove the tub (although I loath tubs) simply because for resale (if thats an issue for you), you will need a tub in the house. Also, larger tiles in general will make a space look larger since there are fewer joints. Do you have an idea of the look you are going for? Or what colors you like?

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Twn85 - well my hubby won't have it- so we are keeping the tub. I am Looking to do warm cream beige/brown colors. I'm hoping to work around this tile. http://www.glasstileoasis.com/item.asp?item=16608

Possibly as a border or accent to a cream/ beige subway tile. I would love if I can see others who have used similar color tones in their bath.

• jreed22
    12 years ago

we are just about to start on our bathroom renovation; my bathroom layout is almost identical to yours. We are replacing the vanity with a pedestal sink, new toilet,new tub, removing the tile on the walls/shower/floor and replacing the tile in the shower and floor with tile in creamy beige tones. No tile on the walls. I thought about doing an accent with a nice glass tile, but then decided to go with a 4x4 accent strip in the shower in the same pattern tile as the rest of the shower/floor. I want to keep it relatively neutral so it won't be out of style in 10 years(or whenever)Also thought about removing the tub and replacing with a shower only, but my contractor said it would need to be custom made to fit our space, and we are trying to keep the price down as much as possible on this project, so we decided to stick with a tub.

here is our bathroom currently and the tile we are going to use in the shower(floor tiles will be the same pattern in an 8x8 (I think)tile:
    {{gwi:1498349}}

{{gwi:1498350}}

I wish I had it done already so I could post pictures for you!

• jreed22
    12 years ago

fnmroberts...your bathroom looks great! Can I ask where you got your train rack? I want to put one in our bathroom also because we have zero storage for towels in there.

• fnmroberts
    12 years ago

jreed22 Thank you.

Train rack is from Pottery Barn. Update was two winters ago and the last time I was at PB, didn't see our actual style on their display. Might just be a display change so I'd check on-line too. Good luck.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Jreed22 - we're not starting demo until February. Maybe you can post your finished bathroom for me to see. I'm getting a head start to get some ideas. I prefer not to tile all the walls, but my DH and his contractor friend say I should. I'm sure it will look nice, but I like the clean look of fresh paint. We're planning to do a pedestal sink - in hopes that it will make the bathroom look larger, however storage maybe limited.

• jreed22
    12 years ago

I will definitely post pictures when we are done. We don't have a start date just yet because DH is going to do the demo and he has been crazy busy at work right now. Soon, though(I hope!)

I agree with you on the painted walls vs tile walls; I just don't think I'll like tiled walls. maybe because I've lived with the tiled walls for 15 years and I'm sick of it, who knows. Plus, more tiles = more money, so it made that decision easy for me to go with no tiles on the wall ;)

I am a little concerned with the lack of storage with a pedestal sink, but I am hoping it makes the bathroom feel a little more open. We are using the Kohler Memoirs sink. I ordered a recessed mirror/cabinet from Restoration Hardware so that will give us a little storage anyway.

I am going to ask the congtractor if he can build a little recessed niche or cabinet of some kind in the wall opposite the sink/toilet in hopes of getting a little more storage that way. We will see what we have to work with when we take the walls down. If all else fails, the hairdryer and straightening iron will have to be relocated to the upstairs bathroom, that has a vanity!

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

jreed22 - great! looking forward to see pictures. I am aso considering building a cabinet in the wall in the hope of having more storage, which is why I don't want to do tile on that side of the wall. I wanted tile behind the sink area and in the shower only. I agree it would be less tile, which = less $$.

• hackwriter
    12 years ago

OP: Your bath is like mine, except mine is black tile with seafoam green trim. ;-)

I'm doing a partial remodel for now, since the walls are plaster and I can't bear the thought of demolishing tile that's in perfectly good shape and adhered to plaster, and replacing it all with wallboard, even if it's cement board.

I'm just wondering what you're planning to do about storage, since you're replacing your vanity with a pedestal sink? That's the one stumbling block I have. I would like to put in a 9" deep freestanding cabinet, but it's impossible to find one.

• rufinorox
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I don't have any floor space for a free standing cabinet. I found a great idea online to build in the wall and attach a mirror with a swing to open. I will try to post a picture.

• jillaroo123
    11 years ago

I am also doing a bathroom renovation which will be a complete gut and replace. The room is 6'x8'. Is there any plan that could allow that size room to have a bath, shower, toilet and pedestal basin? Any ideas would be appreciated.