Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mix of polished and honed crema marfil on bathroom floor

Posted by siamesecatlady (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 16:04

We are in the process of remodeling our master bath (which we are paying a pretty penny for). We requested honed crema marfil 18 x 18 tiles for the floor. The tile guy (subcontractor) of renovating company laid approximately SIX polished crema marfil tiles around the perimeter of the room. The contractor was responsible for procuring the tile and we paid a premium for him to handle pick-up/delivery, etc. So, the tile shop he used must have mixed in a box of polished crema marfil with the order of honed crema marfil. It blows my mind that it was laid in the floor, as if it matched! When I noticed the difference and pointed out the SIX shiny tiles, I was horrified. Now, the company is suggesting using a vinegar solution to take the polish off. They tried a sample, and while it did take off the polish, I did not think it looked exactly the same as the honed tile. I have asked them to remove the six polished tiles and replace them with the correct honed tiles. Is this what you would suggest? Is there going to be a problem pulling up tile (will it damage surrounding tile)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mix of polished and honed crema marfil on bathroom floor

Make them pull it out and if they damage any others then make them replace those.

If you're anything like me, even if they get it to look close, it will always bother you.

o

The other thought is that they could polish the whole floor to a honed finish before they grout it of course. On their dime. But if the tiles are from a different source of stone it probably wont look good.

I know, what are people thinking?! I'm always amazed!

Pull the tiles.

Edited to say:
I know nothing of polishing tiles. and I just spouted - to have the tiles polished before grouting - but heck, I don't know. Maybe it would be better after grouting. I think I was considering that if the polishing was done before grouting, you could stop refinishing if it didn't look right, before all the effort went into the grouting process too.

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 18:40

o

It's only six tiles that need to be replaced. That should be doable.
If for whatever reason they can't get the same lot of honed tiles then a stone refinisher could hone the polished tiles correctly.
Using vinegar to hone and match an existing installation is not very professional.
The question is are the six polished pieces of the same lot or look as the original honed lot
If it isn't it may never quite match.
Consult a stone refinisher and have a sample done.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here