Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
purrparlor

Small contemporary bathroom complete

annkathryn
11 years ago

As part of a whole-house remodel, we turned a small downstairs half bath into a full bath and added some features that we hope will allow us to remain in our current house as we age over the next 20 years or so. We put in a grab bar in the shower and blocked other areas for future grab bars. The toilet paper holder is also a grab bar - Moen brand, my contractor who installed it said it was the best bath hardware he'd ever installed. The shower is curbless with no shower door. We'll eventually add a shower curtain when we start using it - for now, we have a shower upstairs in the master bath that we use.

Floor tile is Natif Ambra, tile behind the toilet is Tokyo Wenge, wall tile in the shower is Yakarta Wenge, all from Porcelanosa.

Ronbow vanity
Toto wall-mounted toilet
Moen toilet paper grab bar
Whitner Angled Grab Bar With Basket from Signature Hardware
Light fixture from Bellacor
Quartz counter
The mirror is one we had that fit the space.
Medicine cabinet was existing

From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath
From Downstairs Bath

Comments (13)

• kmcg
    11 years ago

Stunning! The tile is so cool - it almost looks like water is running down the wall behind the toilet. And the installation is impecable. Your grab bars are really handsome, and such a good idea. Great job!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Another bathroom star! Beautiful tile selections. What about the toilet, are you glad you put this in? What about access in the future? I know those regular tank toilets have to be looked into now and then, as the flapper doesn't close and water runs until it is either repositioned or replaced. I would love to have a toilet like yours but don't know how they work. I would hate to have to tear out a wall for the occasional maintenance issue, (or is there a secret entrance?)

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Well done! The tile feature is awesome... and I suspect that pictures don't do it justice either!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

kmcg, enduring and treasuretheday, thanks for your nice comments. It's hard to take pictures of such a small space. Some of the potential shower area was taken up by a niche in the hallway just around the corner (not quite finished yet).

From Kitchen

My general contractor's plumber has installed many of these wall mounted toilets and has never had any maintenance issues with them. The tank is in the wall that separates the bathroom and the closet in the office/bedroom next to it.

Here's the rough-in of the wall mounted faucet and toilet. The wiring is for phone/cable/CAT6 in the adjoining office closet.

From Downstairs Bath

• singingmala
    11 years ago

I love your floor tile. Would you mind sharing the manufacturer and style? We put in a wall mount toilet and I have loved it (no more grimy crevices) but I do worry about repair issues; fortunately, ours backs up to a crawl space. Still....

• cat_mom
    11 years ago

Very nice looking bathroom!

• annkathryn
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The floor tile is Natif Ambra. It's sold by a lot of places and was relatively inexpensive. I used it on the floor in this bathroom, the laundry room and the upstairs hall bathroom.

cat_mom your kitchen was one of my early inspirations and I love your baths too!

Here is a link that might be useful: Natif Ambra

• Lisa
    8 years ago

Gorgeous bath! I realize this post is almost three years old, but I thought I'd ask a question anyway. I am looking to possibly install Natif Ambra in our kitchen and I was wondering how it is at hiding dirt, crumbs, hair, etc. I wasn't sure if the faux grain and lighter color would be good for hiding dirt. We are replacing a solid white floor that has always been nearly impossible to keep looking clean, so hiding dirt is a priority in choosing our new flooring. Thank you!

• annkathryn
    8 years ago

Hi there! I would say the Natif Ambra is fairly good at hiding dirt, but not nearly as good as the bamboo floors we have elsewhere in the house. We mop it every 2 weeks or so, otherwise just sweep or vacuum to keep it clean.

• Lisa
    8 years ago

Thank you for the quick response. I'm sure whatever we get will definitely be better at hiding dirt than the solid white I've had (and hated) for years. I don't want to go too dark, and the Natif Ambra looks beautiful!

• glfjjf
    8 years ago

What is the size of the bathroom?

• annkathryn
    8 years ago

Dan_dantonio the bathroom is approximately 6x8.