Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Marble threshold b/t different level floors

Posted by socalsister (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 5, 10 at 15:44

How is a marble threshold installed when it needs to transition between two floor surfaces at different levels, in this case, marble and hardwood? The marble will definitely sit higher than the hardwood. (Marble basketweave not installed yet, so don't know the actual height difference.) The hardwood will abut the marble on a diagonal rather than a 90 degree angle.

Also, how much should the threshold extend into the rooms on either side of the door? Should it span the entire door frame (4.25")?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Marble threshold b/t different level floors

Good questions ... we're in exactly the same position.

o

My threshold is about 1 inch higher than the wood floor of the hallway. Then it has a slight "ramp" to the middle of the threshold. At that point it becomes level and it the same level as the tile floor.

Mine spans the entire door frame and is only as wide as the frame, about 4.5 inches for me.

o

I believe the ramp-edge type threshold is called a Hollywood bevel (?). We should've had them do this on the saddle for our hall bathroom, but didn't. The saddle sits higher than the HW floor in the hallway outside the bathroom. I keep saying I'll have to put a "watch your step" sign by the doorway when we have guests over! :-)

o

Thanks for your responses. If I understand correctly, the bevel is only on one side? (I have seen prefab saddles/thresholds that are beveled on both sides.) How is the underside addressed? Is it notched somehow to accomodate the higher floor? Or is it set at an angle to span the two floors? How thick does it need to be in order to not crack? Help!

o

The underlayment for the tile floor extends out to the wood floor. The threshold is placed on top of this.

Yes, the bevel is only on one side. Here is a picture of mine that I hope will help. Please excuse the unfinished wood floor -- it's next on the list of to-do's.

As you can see, the light reflects only on the flat part of the threshold, so you can see where the bevel ends. The white part just above the wood floor is the tile underlayment. I am sure there are others on this board who are far more familiar with this process and can fill in the blanks for you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

o

I had this issue and I made slanting hardwood bevels for my tile to wood transistion. Smooth on both sides with no banging of toes. I will post pics. we went with almost the entire doorframe.
Photobucket
Photobucket

o

It depends on the AMOUNT of difference in elevation as to how the threshold should be installed, also with reference to which bevel type it should be (standard vs. handicapped, AKA hollywood). As for where in the doorway it should be, it should start under the door (if it's up to me, it should abutt the tile flush with the inside face of the door), and project out from there.

Here is a link that might be useful: look partway down the page for bevel types

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here