Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
zinfanatic

How to make bathrooms look larger with tile size and placement?

zinfanatic
16 years ago

I will most likely put some type of tile on the floor in both of my bathrooms. How to I make the rooms look larger? Do I use larger tile? Do I lay the tile on the diagonal? I am working with fairly small bathrooms. Appreicate any suggestions

Comments (13)

• rachelsweetdream
    16 years ago

hi...a few weeks ago there was a thread about tile size...someone posted a picture given to him by the tile store showing which lay out and size makes the room look larger...it was diagonally set large tile...i was shocked and am changing my original hex tile choice to 12x12 tiles! good luck rachel

• monicakm_gw
    16 years ago

Yes, larger tile set on the diagonal make the room look larger. I saw the same sketch. It's amazing. I'd already laid my tile tho...20" on the diagonal :) And fewer grout lines are always a good thing.
    Monica

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

I agree with Monica. Lay the tile diagonally, and it gets away from the square modular look, which reduces the size of the room into "modules" as the name implies, thereby pychologically reducing the size of the room

• jennymama
    16 years ago

What about the running board pattern?

• bill_vincent
    16 years ago

Running bond will still give you a somewhat modular look, but if you like it, go with it!!

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

We chose really large tiles; 24" x 24" on the floor and 12" x 24" on the walls with a 6 x 24 "border" throughout - and it looks great! Before we did our bathroom I had only seen this kind of tile in magazine pictures or in a large showroom. So yes, I was a bit scared if we made the right choice for our much smaller bathroom. But even my very old fashioned stepfather who tried to discourage me before he laid the tiles for us was amazed by the effect and loved it.

That is a really big tile so I wouldn't recommend to lay it on the diagonal or you'll have a huge amount of waste.

This is a picture of the wall tile.

{{gwi:1498117}}

• zinfanatic
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks all! I suspected large tiles set on a diagonal was the best way to go. Glad to have that verified by my "experts" on the Home forums! Zin

• jerzeegirl
    16 years ago

Beatrix: What tile is that? I love it.

• beatrix_in_canada
    16 years ago

zinfanatic

it's the Leonardo Shape series. An Italian porcelain tile that looks very natural but is easier to install and take care of than most natural stones.

Here is a link that might be useful: Leonardo Shape

• pkirkha1
    16 years ago

Here is the pic people made reference to earlier that the tile store gave me to help me visualize. I found it helpful and did go with larger tiles but everyone should do what they love and every bathroom is different. Here you go:

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Interesting thread. I just met with the tile installer on Saturday and he advised against diagonal (which is what I wanted). He said room was too small for diagonal. This is for an L-shaped laundry room and tile is 13 x 13. Tile is not yet installed. I think I may change my mind (won't he love me?!) and go for diagonal.

What about for a powder room, which is smaller? I am using the 13 x 13 again. Would it work even with such a small space?

Teresa

• MariposaTraicionera
    16 years ago

My tile is 18x18 and we tried laying it in the very narrow bathroom area to see how diagonal would look and I didn't care for it. I suspect that it would depend upon the size of the room and size of tiles being used.

• teresa_b
    16 years ago

Thanks Mari,

I have been thinking about this a lot since my post, and I was coming to the same conclusion.

Teresa