Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
fnmroberts

Master Bathroom Updated - X-Post from Decorating

fnmroberts
11 years ago

Finally finished! We gave our 17 year-old Master Bath a facelift without relocating any plumbing, changing the tile or bath tub. Their condition is totally satisfactory and the housing market in our area simply doesn’t warrant such additional investment. Overall the layout was/is functional. Room measures 12 x 8 so isn’t particularly large but does have a volume ceiling.

What we did:

Gutted an existing Linen Closet, opening it to 8 feet in height, and then inserting a custom-built cabinet into the space. New cabinet incorporates drawers and frosted glass doors for a spa look; replacing the original bi-fold door and wire shelving.

Constructed a matching vanity with an overall 34” height, deeper drawers and offering better utilization of counter space via enlarging it 2” in both dimensions, then replacing the builders molded faux marble with granite (St. Cecelia) and under-mounted (Kohler, Caxton 17”) basins. Door/Drawer hardware (Top Knobs, Nouveau) is polished chrome. Electricity has been added below one basin for a hair dryer and tooth brush. Sink fascia’s tilt for accessible comb and hair brush storage. Overall the two cabinets have approximately doubled available capacity in the same square footage permitting improved organization and convenience. Wood selection is Maple, stained almost ebony, designed with a furniture look.

Removed and replaced the original shower enclosure with semi-frameless ½” glass, incorporating a pony wall into the shower thus increasing its area. The pony wall has been capped with identical granite to pair with our vanity. A robe hook has been installed through the glass for hanging a towel while showering. Shower door swings inward or outward. Mounted (simplehuman) shampoo/soap dispensers.

The original full width mirror has been replaced with a beveled glass “floating” one attached to the wall. Really wanted separate tilting mirrors but with only 5 feet I just didn’t think they proportioned right.

Installed a 27” tall medicine cabinet (NuTone) replacing the original 18” one.

For the WC we selected a Toto Ultramax II, elongated, SanaGloss and comfort height to replace the original. Much quieter.

Painted and mirror-backed an existing wall cabinet for perfume.

Faucets, shower head, towel rods and robe hooks (Kohler, Forte) are in polished chrome.

A fixed window has been changed to one that opens and exchanged the sky light too ��" both with low-E glass.

Installed a ceiling fan - Casablanca damp area.

Added night lighting on the plant ledge and electricity/cable connection. Probably won’t ever put a TV in the bathroom but space on the wall above the medicine cabinet could accommodate one. We previously replaced the builder strip light with a pair by Kichler which remain.

Paint is C2, Slinky on the walls and Shark Fin on the ceiling though the color distinction isn’t what I imagined it would be. May paint some clouds on the ceiling as previously had that effect and liked the look.

The entire process took 9 months, much of it waiting for the cabinet maker, a local one-man operation, who had a couple kitchens ahead of our project. My husband did all the demolition, electrical, painting, cabinet installation and plumbing. Professionals handled the shower enclosure, window install, granite and cabinet building to his design. I’m sure some tweaking will continue but right now I’m happy with the new look.

Here’s a link to photos. My first exposure to Photobucket - haven't determined how to re-organize them into a better sequence.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bathroom

Comments (25)

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I don't know what is happening to my post that changes the punctuation. It was fine when I proofread prior to submission. Sorry it is hard to read.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

oooooo... I get to be the first to say congratulations! It's beautiful! I love many things about it but your vanity is simply gorgeous!! I love the use of space under the sinks with the tip out, cabinet AND drawer... how smart that is. Enjoy your beautiful space!

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

It looks terrific.

If you copy/paste from word, that happens.

• treasuretheday
    11 years ago

Sorry for the double post. I don't know what's up with GW lately... I've seen more double posts than ever before.

But, it's worth saying twice... your vanity and cabinet are drop-dead gorgeous!!

• enduring
    11 years ago

Here are some of the photos. It is sure a nice bathroom!

{{gwi:1498051}}

{{gwi:1498058}}

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I certainly appreciate everyone's feedback. It's so new even our family hasn't been here to see the final result yet.

treasuretheday - you're very kind. I agonized for months not knowing whether things would coordinate as I visioned and your comments are a confirmation.

writersblock - Thank you. Somehow I knew Bill Gates has something to do with the altered transfer.

enduring - Thank you for your comment and for selecting/posting some of the photos. I will learn techniques to better use Photobucket soon, I hope.

• Bethpen
    11 years ago

Great job! I love the custom cabinet!

Beth P.

• RileyBirks
    11 years ago

Your bathroom is freaking Awesome dude!! How I wish my bathroom looks that neat.

• rjr220
    11 years ago

Beautiful reno! You did a beautiful job with it -- can you share the dimensions of your vanity? I see that it's 34" high -- but how wide is it? I have 60" to work with and really like your layout.

Thanks, Rita

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rjr220

Thank you, we're pleased with everything after approximately 3 months.

The vanity is 62" wide with an additional 1" overhang for the granite. Original vanity was 60" but we have space to enlarge so added those inches into the drawers.

Regarding height, because we had ours custom built it was possible to go any height. I'm 5' 4" (on a good day as my DH says) and I felt 36" was a bit more than I would find comfortable in the bathroom. Our original was 31" high. I find the new one fits me fine and my DH (6') likes to too.

• mic111
    11 years ago

Love your new bathroom. I have been trying to figure out what sort of pulls would look good on ours and I especially like your use and placement of two different types of pulls. I hadn't thought of that and now am going to explore that idea.

• rjr220
    11 years ago

Thank you. Bookmarked to show my cabinet maker!

• rjr220
    11 years ago

One more question -- where did you locate your make-up mirror on the right of your vanity? I've been looking for one, but can only locate the cheap $40.00 versions or those that are R

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rjr220 - Had it for several years. I'm sure BBB or the former Linens & Things. As I recall it was around $100. This one is actually electric but DH removed the electrical cord because I never plugged it in and the wire was always dangling. Guess that would depend upon your lighting.

Good luck with your cabinet build. Ours is built of 3/4" cabinet-grade plywood. It is really sturdy, even the granite installer was happy. He said he doesn't like putting 500# of stone on some cabinets.

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

rjr220 - Had it for several years. I'm sure BBB or the former Linens & Things. As I recall it was around $100. This one is actually electric but DH removed the electrical cord because I never plugged it in and the wire was always dangling. Guess that would depend upon your lighting.

Good luck with your cabinet build. Ours is built of 3/4" cabinet-grade plywood. It is really sturdy, even the granite installer was happy. He said he doesn't like putting 500# of stone on some cabinets.

• goldstox
    11 years ago

Awesome. Love the vanity. We have similar taste.

• michoumonster
    11 years ago

beautiful! i love the tall cabinet inside your wall especially. so much storage!! did you use frosted glass or reeded glass?

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

michoumonster - It's just basic frosted glass. No internal lighting but it is our attempt to have a spa look rather than a wall of dark wood.

• Karenseb
    11 years ago

I love your linen cabinet and the sink is beautiful.
    The shower turned out very nice. Could you please tell me what the dimensions of the shower are?

• cherij0411
    11 years ago

Hi
    was the cabinet for the linen closet custom built also? Thanks

• motherof3inct
    11 years ago

I would love to find out if the linen cabinet was a custom built in too. We're planning to do the same with a stand alone linen cabinet. My contractor plans to build an alcove around it, but have it jut out a bit and put trim around the walls. The one pictured above is inset into the wall. Not sure which would look better. I do like how fnmroberts looks custom. Your bathroom is beautiful - job well done!

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

bullielove and motherof3inct -

Yes, the Linen Cabinet was also built custom and to match the vanity - drawers same height and same wood/finish.

The original Linen Closet had an 18" bi-fold door, which really only opened about 15", with wire shelving inside. The door was standard 80" height. We opened the width to 24" and the height to 96" for this cabinet. It is free-standing, though anchored, and the frame is scribed to fit as if built-in.

Appreciate your kind remarks.

• a2gemini
    11 years ago

Love your pull out in your sink cabinets. I was going to do a drawer but second guessing my idea. Might use your idea. Thanks!
    Lovely bathroom!

• fnmroberts
    Original Author
    11 years ago

a2gemini -

We went with an internal drawer because our drawer needed to be small due to limitations for plumbing connections. And, we felt the proportion of the door would be wrong with it being smaller. It is a great space for nail polish and small items.