Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ship4u

glass tub shield or shower curtain?

ship4u
10 years ago

We are in the final stage of our master bath remodel. Our plan was to install a european style glass shield and glass door instead of a shower curtain.
We were planning on the one made by Fleurco, Evolution, Monaco Round Top:

http://www.fleurco.com/shower-doors/evolution-monaco-round-top-tub-shield.aspx

However, after reading some of your comments, we are having serious second thoughts. We were attracted by the idea of a clean open look. But, thinking about it further, a glass door would be claustrophobic when taking a bath, and it is pretty expensive.

Please let us know your thoughts and experiences.

This post was edited by ship4u on Sun, Nov 24, 13 at 11:10

Comments (8)

• Gracie
    10 years ago

My thoughts are evolving on this too. We assumed we'd do glass doors. It's the popular thing to do and gives an upscale, spa look. I think it depends on how elaborate the other fixtures are in your new bath.

I think we are replacing our 60" shower stall with a tub/shower, and it makes sense to use a shower curtain. Our house isn't custom, so an upscale bath isn't expected for resale. Our current shower with glass doors is hard to keep clean, even with our soft water, so we'd need to get that special glass. At my age, I don't like being "on view" while in the shower. What we save on a glass enclosure can go into tiling the entire bathroom instead of just the shower stall.

I'm still undecided though. Would like to hear the pros of using glass doors.

• lisadlu
    10 years ago

We are getting ready to demo our guest bathroom next week but currently have glass doors on the tub/shower combo. I hate these glass doors. You feel very closed in when taking showers or baths. If you do a shower curtain I would get a ceiling mounted track instead of the standard shower rod. A ceiling mounted track doesn't break up the visual look and you can also get chains to use with it so the curtain isn't all the way to the ceiling. You can also do a curved track the same as they do on the shower rods. Good luck!

• ruthie51
    10 years ago

I'd just like to add that I've seen some really lovely shower curtains that greatly add to the beauty of the room, both with design and color. Having a shower curtain gives you an easy and inexpensive way to redecorate when you feel you'd like to make a change. Plus, the liner can be easily removed and washed when necessary in the washing machine (especially if you use the new dual hangers where the liner hangs on separate hooks than the curtain).

• gabbythecat
    10 years ago

Ditto what Ruthie said. There are some really gorgeous outer curtains. The liners can easily be washed. Or you can toss them - not very eco friendly, but definitely cheap. I do NOT like washing shower/bathtub doors - there are too many odd little areas that must be scrubbed...I didn't know about the dual hangers - I just used an entirely separate rod for the liner, so it moved independently of the "nice" outer curtain.

• cindallas
    10 years ago

I have experienced the half glass on the tubs in a few hotels too. The first one I saw was fixed and it was almost impossible to reach in the tub/ shower and start the water without getting wet. A real hassle. Also when taking a shower, not only does the water get splashed on the floor, but was also cold without full coverage of all glass or a shower curtain. But it looked really cool.

On another visit, had seen another one but this one was hinged so you could reach in and turn on the water. This one was longer down the tub than the other hotel had it and was a little over hall way down the full length (where as the first one was almost just 1/3) and it was better in that aspect, but there still was water on the floor when I finished and was still cold due to the air movement in the room. The bottom of the movable panel also did not have a lip on it like a standard shower door has, so it was a real mess. Maybe adding that strip would help, but then there are the other problems.

I had been thinking of a future second bath upgrade and liked these looks, but the function is sorely lacking. So will put that on hold till I work out this and other details. I have seen some nicer upscale sliding doors and that might be what I go with.

• gregory_j_schaefer1
    7 years ago

Just to offer a different viewpoint, I am remodeling my master bath. The room itself is smaller than I would like it. My feeling is that the shower curtain cuts off the bath/shower portion of the room, making the remaining part of the bathroom seem smaller. We thought about tiling the enclosure in marble, but found an almost perfect imitation in a ceramic tile. (No one will know except you and I) The idea of a glass frame-less shield will allow us to show off the tub enclosure. With the door open, most of the tub will be open as well and there is no "track" or whatever, attached to the tub, (where my bare arms should be) and no track up at the top either. You need to go to a showroom and find a display. Then sit in the tub and see how it feels. First hand experience is better than all the free advice in the world.

Good Luck!

• mark_rachel
    7 years ago

The glass panel makes things pretty cold in the bath/shower. I would prefer to be able to close the curtain & be warm.