Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Cost of New Vanity Cabs vs. Raising Height on Old

Posted by leahcate (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 22, 11 at 15:36

Our MBR vanity cabinets are good, solid, ugly oak. I'd planned to raise to 36", add trim, new hardware, and paint. My DH thinks that this work ( especially the height raising) might very well cost as much as to replace with new. I'd imagined adding height to existing vanity would not be a biggie. Anyone know?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Cost of New Vanity Cabs vs. Raising Height on Old

I think you need to consider how much work is involved.
You need at least fundamental plumbing and carpentry skills, because it's not going to be cheap to hire it out. To raise the cabinet you have to remove the faucet, then the cabinet, and build a new base and attach it to the cabinet. Then, if the existing cabinet is not open in the back, cut new holes to accept the plumbing because they are probably not going to line up, replace the renovated cabinet and reconnect the plumbing. That's without having even considered whether or not you want to paint or refinish the cabinet. It may also affect any current backsplash mirror placement. I'm with Hub on this one.

o

How big is the vanity? The larger it is, the more you'll save by raising it instead of replacing it.

You'll save if you can DIY it, because the materials for raising it are pretty cheap, and building and trimming out a new base is pretty simple.

The plumbing costs involved in both are the same, as any new vanity will need holes cut and plumbing redone for the higher sink.

o

Thanks, house elf and weedyacres. I hope you're right, weedy. It's not a DIY. One contractor said it might be not much more to have his cabinet guy build new cabs. Another here today said basically the same as weedy. Will wait and see how much the new cabs are and their quality. It's a master bath with three connected vanities. Thanks to you both for your input. :>)

o

Are you doing the work yourself? It is very easy to do. I just did it in my boys' bathroom. I took the 2 vanities and drawer bank out and turned them upside down. I wanted to add 4 1/2 inches to the base for a 36" finished height. I cut mdf to the correct height and attached it to the existing base. I cut smaller mdf and attached it to my new pieces (on top of the old base) to create a double base. I had taken the front of the base completely off and replaced it with a new piece of mdf. I replaced a carpet floor with tile, so the 1/2 inch fiberboard, thin set and tile took up close to an inch. The new cabinet toe kick area is 7 1/4" from the tile and gives the illusion of a floating cabinet at first glance.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

o

Nice job! I like the new finish a lot, and the counter looks great with it.

o

Nice job! I want to increase our height also but likely to get new cabs as ours are not fixable - laminate.... gag.... and the typical builder's model!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here