Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cataan

Vanity top fitting question

cataan
9 years ago

Hi,

I am installing new vanity tops in my bathroom. They are to be custom measured with the bowl and back and side splashes built in as a one piece unit. The vanities are each in an alcove between two walls. Should I get vanity tops that measure exactly the distance between the walls so they fit exactly flush or 1/4 inch less to make sure I can get them between the walls then caulk the 1/8 inch gaps? My only concern with fitting them flush is if, rather than flush, it's just slightly too tight a fit and I can't fit them in without sanding down the drywall.

Thanks!

Comments (4)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Leave 1/8" on each side and you'll be fine. Check for how square the alcove is though.

• cataan
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks - yep, off by 1/4 inch from back to front.

• PlumberGuy2014
    9 years ago

It depends on the type of top you get. Some can be trimmed or sanded and some cannot, but to be safe, measure front and back and order a little smaller. Any gaps can be filled with Silicone or covered by a side splash.

• emma
    9 years ago

We had a problem when we remodeled our master bath in our last home. We bought a Formica vanity top and when we tried to set it we found the back wall was not true. We had to sand. When we were finished we looked like a pair of ghosts. Fortunately I covered everything and put a towel under the door.