Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
colorfast

Vanity Sconces (need wider base)

colorfast
10 years ago

I am hunting for two sconces to go above a vanity mirror in the master bath. I need the base to be at least 6.25 inches in diameter. I am hoping to spend no more than $50ish per light fixture, although I could probably go $70.

I don't want to tear into the wall or even repaint. It's difficult to search many websites for this specification so I'm wondering if any models spring to fellow GW's minds. Or perhaps a website that allows you to search light fixtures by size.

I would take any common lighting color except maybe brass. These are pretty unattractive!

Note: I will cross-post this in Lighting.

Thanks for any ideas!

Comments (3)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I have no idea about sizes.

What is this for, if you are not repainting or care about the color of metal? Is this to stage your master bath?

What I would try to do is take my existing sconces apart and see if I could save the escutcheon and put it to a new set.

Edited to say that after reading you post on the lighting forum I think I understand better.

Did you ever have a wider based sconce?

What about looking for a sconce with the shade being the wide part to cover your base plate?

At the price point you are looking at I'd go to a big box store and see what they have for bases.

This post was edited by enduring on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 7:38

• colorfast
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Like your idea to see if the bases can be used for another fixture. I am definitely looking for something with a bigger shade.

I've been to the big box stores and no luck with what was in stock. There is one possibility at Lowe's that is out of stock and he suggested I come back by Tuesday. I spent a few hours on lowes and HD online and they don't have very good search capabilities for sizing items. I've noticed this before and the Lowes' electrical guy told me that he was always fighting with their website too. I realize this is a long shot asking here.

To answer your question about my remodeling....

I was trying to keep my remodeling story short, but maybe it was too short. I'd like to replace these lights if we can but we're kinda on remodeling exhaustion.

In a 2+ year process, we've remodeled the kitchen and the front bath, both gut jobs and much of it was diy. In the past I was a frequent poster here.

With the MBath, about 7 years ago I had hired the shower to be retiled because the grout was failing and we felt that we probably needed new cement board etc. We had put down new vinyl flooring and painted, but never did the vanity area, still very dated. So I'd like to not rip into anything else and if I can't find new lights, then we'll live with these.

• enduring
    10 years ago

Wont the typical sized escutcheon fit your space? Or are your old escutcheons that much larger? Are you trying to cover something up with the larger escutcheons?

What about mounting a typical sconce on a larger wooden disk then mount the disk to the wall at the junction. I don't know if that would work or not. You could paint the wooden disk to match the wall paint or the other stuff in your room.