Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
toomanychoices_kt

Bill V, Mongo, or any other tile folks--Couple questions

toomanychoices
12 years ago

Working on a small (4' x 8') master bath renovation with just a shower (no tub). Currently the room is completely tiled a la 1950s ranch in baby blue. Here are my latest questions after looking around at tile:

1. We're looking at porcelain tiles. Are there any major differences in those you get from a specialty tile place (looked at some AO tiles) and those from a big box floor and tile place, aside from price of course?

2. It's looking like I have the option of 2x2 or 3x3 tiles for the shower floor. Either one better than the other?

3. We were thinking of not tiling the non-shower portion of the bathroom, but then I was thinking about the sink backsplash area. Someone suggested that we could just do tile wainscoting (if that's the right word) just on the wall that has the sink and toilet. Is that a reasonable suggestion or are we better off just doing the shower and figuring something else with the sink area? At the moment I'm not looking at sinks that would have an integrated backsplash. If it makes any difference, I'm looking at 13 x 13 tiles for the shower and bathroom floor.

Thanks!

Comments (3)

• MongoCT
    12 years ago

The only ones I've had an issue with were Marazzi, and that was from several years ago but over a period of several years, and Florida Tile, which was from awhile ago too.

I can't recall having touched Florida Tile since. Marazzi, I think they have gotten better. The issue with them back in the day was the tiles were just so varied in size. Open a box, stand the tiles on edge (like a deck of cards on edge) and it shows how out of square and varied in size they are across each dimension.

I can't say the last time I used Marazzi...maybe last year in 2010? But they were pretty much standard then, I had no out of the ordinary issues.

Some tile is only rated for wall use, some wall and floor rated.

If the tile has a "glaze pattern", some are applied with screens, like silk screens. Look closely and you can see the screen grid within the glaze. Also, ask how often the pattern repeats in a box. A manufacturer might only have 7 patterns or 15 patterns. In a large room using a tile with a low number of patterns, the repetitive pattern could be apparent after the tiles are set.

Through-body versus a surface glaze could be a consideration regarding cut edges.

For the most part though, porcelain is porcelain.

2" and 3" squares will both conform to the pitch changes in the shower floor. Most shower drain covers are 4" squares, which nests nicely within a field of 2" tiles. 2" tiles will also give more grout lines, which can aid in foot traction and minimize slips in the shower.

There are myriad ways to do a sink backsplash, there's no hard right or wrong. But sure, a tiled wainscot can look lovely, especially with a pedestal sink that shows off more of the wall. If you go that route, take the added wall thickness into consideration when positioning the toilet flange in the floor.

• toomanychoices
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Mongo! It's good to know that they are likely pretty much the same. The less expensive option is one with the 2x2s, so that's a good thing. We also had our contractor take a look at the various options and he liked the looks of one of the less expensive options the best (without knowledge of the prices).

Is it necessary to have a backsplash behind the sink? I've heard a range of opinions so far.

• bill_vincent
    12 years ago

I can't recall having touched Florida Tile since. Marazzi, I think they have gotten better.

Not that I've seen.