Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phil132

Bathroom 1 or 2 doors

phil132
10 years ago

We are in the process of renovating the upper floor of a 60s bungalow. There are 3 bedrooms and only one bathroom. We are trying to decide whether to have a door from the master bedroom into the bathroom or just have the single hallway entrance. There is a basement suite downstairs, so this is the only bathroom us in the house. Thoughts?

Comments (8)

• sjhockeyfan325
    10 years ago

I think it's fine, but if you're going to do it, you should consider using a pocket door so you don't lose so much space in the bathroom.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I agree with sjhockeyfan - and while you're at it, replace hallway door with pocket door too. I was reluctant, but ours operates more smoothly than I would have every thought. And for small and/or tight bathrooms, it adds a small feeling of more spaciousness that you can't get usually if you're not tearing down walls. Good value for the cost, IMO.

• phil132
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Spoke with designer, apparently walls aren't thick enough for pocket doors (they are 5 inches, need minimum 6).

We were also thinking of using a barn door sliding mechanism on the door into the master bedroom as opposed to a normal door. I'm worried about noise levels. Thoughts on this?

• divotdiva2
    10 years ago

I would inquire about the mechanism on the barn doors and see one in person if possible. I stayed at the JW Marriott in downtown LA and the "barn door" they have on the bathrooms in the rooms is incredibly loud when opened or closed, because the doors are a thick, frosted glass - every movement makes the door rattle. I would think a smooth quietly rolling mechanism with a solid heavy door would be OK.

• pricklypearcactus
    10 years ago

Personally I would not want a door into the bathroom from the master bedroom because the bathroom belongs to all the bedrooms on the floor. It does not appear that there is a long distance from the master bedroom to the hall bathroom door right now, so I don't see much benefit fromt the extra door.

• steve1432
    10 years ago

I wouldn't have a second door into the bathroom from the master bedroom, if I'm honest. As pricklypearcactus said, there seems to be only a short distance from the master bedroom to the current door, so an extra door from the bedroom would just seem to be an un-necessary extra cost.

• ltlfromgardenweb
    10 years ago

Do you have kids? I personally hate bathrooms with 2 entries--kids are notorious for barging into rooms without knocking, and every time I use one of those multiple-entry bathrooms I'm paranoid about being walked in on from multiple fronts. Plus, depending on the children, they will probably think it's fun to run around and around from the hallway through the bath into your room...

Even if there are no kids, it's awkward for guests using your other bedrooms too--do they have to remember to lock the door to your room before using the facilities? And then they have to remember to unlock it so you can get in?

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Phil,

I have to agree that the distance to your BR from the Master is not really that far, and eliminating one extra door could give you a bonus storage space, either for a wider linen closet or for a free standing piece. As for needing a 6" wall for a pocket door, I think that is only if it's a load bearing wall, and I'm guessing that the hallway door is not on a load-bearing wall though the MB wall might be.

Being in a BR with two entry doors is one of my recurring night mares...not sure why, don't think I was traumatized in one as a child, but maybe I've suppressed it! LOL

Sponsored
M&Z Home Services LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Established Home Remodeling Expert Since 2012