Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this feasible?

Posted by Walkerlife (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 6, 13 at 14:14

I'm looking to create a nicer bathroom, but toying with the idea of nixing the standing shower and trying to go with a tub/shower combo. I'm attaching two photos I've found that show this. I like the molding/trim work that frames the space. Could this lead to a potential moisture problem?

I imagine a shower curtain rod could just go on the inside of the trim.
Also, what kind of alcove tub would allow a wood paneled front?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this feasible?

Here is the other photo I've saved.

o

My sister had a set up like that with a ventilation fan located outside the shower. There was always a problem with moisture in the upper corners of the shower. I would want to be certain the steam rising in the shower behind the panel had some place to go.

o

When I built my kids' bathroom years ago, I installed a cast iron tub and then built a wall on the "front" of the tub. It has an arched opening you step through to get into the tub. With the tub being 5' long and the side walls each being maybe 12"-15" wide, the arched opening is 30"-36" wide.

The ventilation fan is located on the ceiling above the tub, inside the enclosure.

We've never had any moisture or mildew problems on the walls or ceiling.

With the type of design in either of your two photos, you don't necessarily need a tub that will "allow" a wood-paneled front.

Those two designs might actually have a piece of stone or solid-surface material set on top of and along the length of the front edge of the tub. The topping material can be sized to overhang the front of the tub enough to allow a wood-paneled or tiled apron front to be installed under that topping.

Since I pretty much enclosed my tub in with that front wall, I used a cast iron tub for durability.

o

If you do go with this model, the second one seems a better choice, with the alcove trim being high enough and unobtrusive. The first one looks too enclosed and constricting. Hope to see how it went!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here