Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sherwhy_gw

Master bath lighting question-need advice

sherwhy
9 years ago

Building a new home and having trouble figuring out a lighting plan for the master bath.
Here is an image of the master bath vanity layout. http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r10/sherwhy/bathroom.jpg

The vanity is 78 inches long. The ceilings are 10 foot. There are two windows above the vanity mirror. The windows are 2ft wide X 1.5 high. There will be two recessed LED cans in the ceiling.

Options
1. Do you think putting sconces above the medicine cabinets will be too high?

2.Should I hang pendants instead?

3. Install a mirror with built in lights?

4. Should I nix the medicine cabinets?

I'm not sure what will give the best light. Thank you for any feedback you can offer.

Here is a link that might be useful:

Comments (10)

• mrspete
    9 years ago

Yes, I think sconces above the medicine cabinet would be too high -- and I really like sconces.

Yes, I think pendants are the best option.

No, I don't particularly like lighted mirrors.

Though it's a large vanity, I think it looks rather "cramped and enclosed". However, I don't think it's the medicine cabinets -- I think it's the fact that the vanity is squished in between two walls. I feel like if I stood at one of the sinks, I'd be uncomfortably close to the wall, and I might bump my elbow as I fix my hair or brush my teeth.

I'm also not liking the "two of everything" look: Two windows, two sinks, two medicine cabinets. I can't say WHY I don't like this, but I don't.

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you for your feedback Mrs. Pete. I finally saw a lighted mirror in person and decided not to go with that. I'm now considering no sconces and just have the recessed cans. I'll use a lighted magnifiyer to do my makeup. There will only be one medicine cabinet if any.
    But I have to have two sinks and the two windows. ;o)

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

I love the two windows over the mirror! I'd hand pendants so that each pendant light is centered in each window.

and maybe add strip lighting under each medicine cabinet?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

You won't be happy with just recessed lighting. I promise, it's not enough. If you DO go with just recessed lights, be sure and center them over the edge of the counter. Tibbrix's idea of pendants hanging in each window sounds nice. Are you married to the medicine cabinets?

• LE
    9 years ago

Side sconces where the medicine cabinets are?

• monicakm_gw
    9 years ago

That's why I asked if she was married to the medicine cabinets. That would be the best and most flattering lighting.

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for the feedback Monicakm and Lori. I'm leaning towards the side sconces and ditching the medicine cabinets. If only I could find a large mirror where the center section opens up as a medicine cabinet. Now the hunt for sconces. Lighting is challenging for me, everything starts looking the same or most of what I like is too expensive.

• numbersjunkie
    9 years ago

Why not have double mirrors/cabinets with a piece of trim between them and you could mount another light there? The trim could be incorporated into the window trim to tie it all together. Here is an example.

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Duxbury Design-Build Firms ARCHIA HOMES

A better example

[Traditional Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Atlanta Architects & Building Designers Soorikian Architecture

If the sinks are not as close to the side wall as they appear in your picture (hope not), you could actually do trim on either side of the single mirrors and mount all your lights on the window wall, where they would be most effective.

What style lights are you interested in?

This post was edited by numbersjunkie on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 11:21

• mayflower1032
    9 years ago

vanity looks like it should have one sink, and not two

• sherwhy
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sorry it's taken so long to respond. Building a home is time consuming. Haha (understatement right?)

Thanks for all the feedback you guys. I loved your examples NumberJunkie. Yes we will be triming out the mirror like in the first image. The bottom of the window trim will be the top of the mirror trim. We decided to add sconces on either side of the vanity. There will not be any medicine cabinets. There will be an electrical outlet within the vanity for DH's power washer.

I'm hoping our sinks won't be too close to the side walls. Framing within the walls dictated the sconces could not be placed on the mirrored wall. I hope to post a picture when we are finished.

Sponsored
Re-Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars12 Reviews
Pittsburgh's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living