Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
numbersjunkie

Is this even possible?

numbersjunkie
9 years ago

I seem to have another dilemma! I want wall mounted faucets, and was planning to use Kohler Kelston sinks whcih have an overflow. I found a few faucets I like but they do not have a lever to control the drain, which is fine with me becasue I hate them. I was planning to use a push type drain. But it seems that all of the push type drains are designed for vessel sinks or sinks with no overflow. Also, the kohler sink has a 1.75 drain opening, so that's another consideration.

Is it even possible to use wall mounted faucets (with no drain lever) if the sink has an an overflow????
And why is this all so hard.......

Comments (16)

• Fori
    9 years ago

Do you need to be able to plug the drain at all? You can get a drain that has a screen thingy over it. I wanted one for my kids' bathroom since popups always get so messed up. :) I didn't end up with that but it made sense for me.

There are a few pushbutton types made for overflows too; the trick is finding them because online companies seem to have skipped useful search filters like that. I think Brizo makes one but I don't know if the size is correct. I had assumed they were all the same...

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thnaks fori - i did see the grate type drains but not sure I like that look. Maybe an option though.

I did find one by Kraus - it is ther right size, and has an overflow hole, but there are no specs or anything that say if it works with an undermount sink. I sent their customer service an question about it.

If that works, the only thing I think i still neeed is a p-trap. The trap may be exposed, so I want one of the nice loooking ones, but again they all seem to say that they are for vessel sinks/no overflow. Grrrr. Maybe Kraus will have an answer for that too.

Here is a link that might be useful: Kraus Pop-01

• Fori
    9 years ago

I don't think the p-trap has anything to do with the overflow though--I think that part of it is contained entirely in the sink and drain thingy. (I just happened to have spent a good part of the weekend chiseling out the business end of my sink's overflow outlet and seeing if I could find a new drain so I wouldn't have to.)

Shouldn't matter if it's undermount or overmount, just the thickness of the sink itself. I suppose vessel sinks might be different, but proper sinks should be standard enough. (Should be...)

The popups do look nicer than the grate, I agree. I saw some that weren't popups but had a doohickey over the drain to make them look nice, even though they didn't close. I want to say umbrella...?

Anyway, as the owner of a sink with a formerly stopped up overflow, I can say you definitely want an overflow drain with that sink. It gets bad in there if it can't drain! :P

• Fori
    9 years ago

Is this close? If it doesn't fit their sink throw a brick through their window...

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.us.kohler.com/us/Pop-up+clicker+drain/productDetail/Bathroom+Fittings/425612.htm#

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Fori- its 1-1/4 not 1-3/4 like their sink. What the heck?

• kats737
    9 years ago

If you don't get a fast response from kraus. Contact faucetdirect. They were really helpful when I was trying to figure out some comparability issues. I don't know, but maybe this 'pu 11' model would work.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pu 11

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Kelston spec sheet

This post was edited by mongoct on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 10:24

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

I like the one kats linked to. I think I want one just because it's from the "Exquisite Collection". Ooh. Ahhh. lol

1-3/4" with overflow

This post was edited by mongoct on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 12:39

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

kats - very interesting that the PU-11CH that you linked sounds just like the Pop-01 model that I originally linked. Can't really figure out the difference. But at least your link provides specs and I notice that they all indicate an install with a vessel sink. Still no word back from Kraus other than an automated email saying they would respond as soon as possible. I may reach out to the folks at faucet direct if I don't hear anything soon.

mongoct - I did review the specs for the sink, but all it says about the drain is that the hole is 1-3/4". Was there something else in the specs that you wanted me to see?

• Fori
    9 years ago

Kohler isn't an off-brand--do they really have off-sized drain holes? That's nuts! I've installed drains in new sinks and 60 year old sinks and never even considered I might have to see what size the hole was!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

"mongoct - I did review the specs for the sink, but all it says about the drain is that the hole is 1-3/4". Was there something else in the specs that you wanted me to see?"

The hole is 1-3/4" in diameter. But that hole should take any standard Kohler drain. Or any other standard drain with a 1-1/4" tailpiece.

Here is a list of Kohler drains. Pick any pop up with overflow and it should fit.

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I have Lacava sinks with overflows and 2" push drains. They were installed a year and a half ago and are wonderful. I'd never heard of them until my designer suggested them.

-Babka

Here is a link that might be useful: Lacava undermount sink with push drain.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

I just reread some of the previous chatter.

If your plumbing will be exposed, yes, you'll want a pretty tailpiece and a pretty trap. What someone else posted is correct, those parts are completely independent of your drain.

Your drain piece will attach to the sink. It often comes with a flanged or a threaded tailpiece, which is a 1-1/4" diameter straight tube. That tailpiece can be discarded if it's not of the material or finish of your choosing.

You can buy your own threaded tail piece if your drain is threaded. The threading on the end of the tail piece will "screw" into the threading on the bottom of your drain:

The other option is a flanged tail piece, if that's what your drain accepts:

With the top of the tailpiece (flanged or threaded) attached to the underside of your sink drain, the bottom end of your tailpiece will slip inside your trap. Since it's a slip fitting, the tailpiece can simply be cut to length. A compression fitting will secure it.

The other end of your trap will have a sidearm that will go into the wall. Here's a trap and sidearm:

The end of the sidearm slips into the wall fitting. Again, since it's a simple slip fitting held by a compression nut, the sidearm can also be cut to length as needed.

You can buy tailpieces, traps, and sidearms in most any finish, and you can get the tailpieces and sidearms in varying lengths. Standard size diameter for a bathroom is 1-1/4" diameter.

Here's an overall that might clarfy:

Here's a Kohler pop up drain with overflow from the previous link. It includes a brass tailpiece. In this case, the brass tailpiece is the off-colored tube coming out the bottom of the drain. It is a threaded tailpiece.

• kats737
    9 years ago

I coulddn't figure out the difference either, except that it did have those comments so thought it might be useful for you.

I spent way too much time looking at plumbing specs for my bath. I found that mfrs actually had incorrect measurements in their specs sometimes. Do you have the sink and can you measure the actual hole?

We have a couple of super old school plumbing supply places - they were so incredibly helpful in getting the random pieces i needed for my setup. Even though the places looked kind of gritty from the outside, they offered great manufacturers on the inside. And their prices were competitive.

• numbersjunkie
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thnaks everyone for your help! It seems like the drain is not such a big issue and should be easy to get what I want.

Still no work back from Kraus, but hopefully they will eventually confirm our conclusion.

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

" It seems like the drain is not such a big issue and should be easy to get what I want."

That is correct. A 1-3/4" hole is a standard hole. Kohler's standard replacement drains with overflow that will fit any of their sinks are 1035350 in metal or 1171917 in plastic.

They have a more expensive "upscale" line too.

You don't have to use a Kohler drain. Any standard drain you find online or at a box or plumbing store will fit too.

When you buy your faucet, it may include a drain in the box. Used to be standard. But with price crunching, parts get stripped out, etc.

Good luck!