Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jenellecal

Give me your best floor plan for this space - pics

jenellecal
13 years ago

I have a horrible bathroom space that I need help with. I could do it OK except for the window that can't be moved. It can be made smaller but that's it. The bathroom is pretty dark so I'm hoping to keep the window.

This is a only bathroom in the house. There is only DH, DS and I (DS is the youngest so no more kids lol).

I want a walk in shower, I have a hot tub so don't want to waste the space with a bathtub. Don't care about what that will do to the re-sale value. This is an old, one room schoolhouse :) A shower is a luxury LOL. Would love a suggestion on privacy in the shower if someone needs the toilet (curtain vs. glass )

I would like to find space to keep a few towels in the bathroom ( hand towels, washcloths and a couple of bath towels). A little space for bathroom essentials and a couple of rolls of TP.

Planning to use white and black in the tile. Subways in the shower, black and white hex on the floor. Color will come from paint and accessories.

Thanks SO much!!!!!!!

The space is a simple rectangle 10'11" x 6' with an odd window placement.

Ugly space before we ripped it out.

The box thing is a useless laundry chute :) The window is above the vanity, to the left.

Comments (15)

• brickton
    13 years ago

I would consider shifting the door down towards the center of the room, making the right side the walk in shower, placing an armoire / storage cabinet between the shower and the door and then placing the sink and toilet on the same wall with the sink next to the window. With a 6' shower you wouldn't need a curtain or a door if you were okay with a wall for most of it. Here's a picture.

• busybee3
    13 years ago

i think the above drawing works great! you would have to move your heating cooling vent. if there is not central air, you could just use an alternative form of heat depending on your locale (radiant floor and towel warmer...that wall space next to shower would be ideal for a long towel warmer!)
    i would probably eliminate the small bumpout on window wall and make it a curbless shower you could have entry opening as small as 24-26" which would provide plenty of privacy. have a light/fan combo directly in shower area.(nutone/braun has one that's really quiet!)
    an over the toilet cabinet as well as either an armoire or built in linen cabinet on that 3 1/2 ft shower wall would provide lots of storage!

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh Thanks I love those ideas butâ¦I can't move the door :(

Here's the house layout with a sample floor plan using a tub (boo). I can steal a couple of feet from the adjoining room. Right as you walk in the door, to the right (where the tub was). That would make that space about 5' x 5'.

• brickton
    13 years ago

Okay, somehow I missed the door orientation in the first set of photos, sorry about that. How about something like this? It might leave the window open enough to still give light to the room. I don't love it, but it's a thought.

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Brickton - That's very similar to a plan we came up with today except. We've turned the toilet the other direction ( the back against the door wall) and put up a partition for some privacy. Here's the whole house plan that shows the bathroom. 9 (and my newly designing kitchen).

I'm still playing with the size of the shower and vanity but this will most likely be THE plan due to lack of options.

Please continue with the ideas though :)

• jacobse
    13 years ago

I'm not sure from your drawing, but moving the toilet to the wall on the right as you did above might be a more expensive plumbing proposition. In Brickton's version, with the toilet along the top wall, that's where your tub is now, right? So there's already a drain line for the tub which could hopefully be changed to the toilet drain line fairly easily; moving it to the other wall might be more expensive. Do your floor joists run horizontally or vertically in the above drawing? I'm sure someone more expert in plumbing will be able to chime in and tell you whether this is an issue or not.

The other concern I have with your version above is that the divider wall may make the whole room feel small, since you're basically dividing the room into three very small areas: shower, sink, and toilet. There's a long narrow corridor to the sink, and someone standing at the sink is less than 3' from the feet of someone sitting on the toilet -- so there's not a lot of privacy gained for two people in the room at the same time, in my opinion. I believe code requires a minimum of 30" in width for the toilet, and I can't tell from the drawing if you have that much space -- and I think it will feel pretty cramped in there if the space is less than 36" wide. Brickton's layout doesn't have those issues. Again, just my opinions.

-- Eric

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

How about this?

Here I have stolen a bit more than 2 feet from the WIC. This is enough to make a private WC compartment. I widened the entry way (I also don't like coming into a room into such a narrow zone, but tried to open it up after that...)

I think that it will be key to try to make the space feel open and airier, rather than cut up into small spaces. To accomplish that, how about making the wall between the shower and vanity out of glass above the vanity top (i.e. short 36" wall with glass on top to the ceiling?) You can still have a mirror on the glass, or make that out of three panels, the middle one of which is mirror and the two sides are glass... That would allow a lot more light to move around and not feel so confined.

I was able to fit a 30" vanity here.

In the space to the left of the WC, there's a full height storage closet on the bath side and shelving on the closet side. The WC area is 36" wide.

{{gwi:1496994}}

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Or this... you wanted a really big shower, yes? Here's a luxurious shower and a very nice, open space, AND a double vanity, if you want one, or just one sink and lots of nice counter space :)

Here I stole less than 2' from the WIC.

{{gwi:1496995}}

• Stacey Collins
    13 years ago

Clearly, the first of my two sketches gives users more privacy. Especially if you do a solid wall between the vanity and the shower. However, it comes at a definite cost... I think it will feel pretty chopped up/small (like your old bathroom perhaps?) Is that a price worth paying for the privacy? Or, perhaps, is the privacy thing more of an issue now that DS is living with you, and in the future won't matter so much? Would you like an open, airier, bigger and more luxurious-feeling bath that is less private? If so, definitely go for more glass and less walls :)

• brickton
    13 years ago

I like the first option from staceyneil a lot, even if it is chopped up, it feels like it gives you the most private bathroom without cutting your walkways into little tunnels. I would like the second one more if you didn't walk right into the vanity upon entrance. I think it is more of an option if you go back to a 36" vanity against the privacy wall of the toilet, but if you want the double and are okay with the entrance, it's a good use of space.

• renov8r
    13 years ago

I like the last option created by staceyneil. The large shower with glass door will really open up the space. When we remodelled our small bathroom, we stole 18 inches from the room next door and it made such an amazing difference. We now have a large glass shower.
    I don't think privacy is a major issue. How often will your son be in the bathroom when you are having a shower or vice versa. I would just put in a half wall to separate the toilet and then you won't see it from the door.
    Keep us posted.

• chicagoans
    13 years ago

Just a thought: if you want a bit of privacy for the toilet area but are concerned about space and light, how about a frosted glass partition instead of a solid wall? It will be less dark, and will save a couple inches of floor space.

This is a thread about showers, but in the first couple of pictures you'll see the type of frosted glass partition I'm talking about. It doesn't give complete privacy, but would be a nice alternative to a solid wall.

Here is a link that might be useful: frosted glass partition

• jenellecal
    Original Author
    13 years ago

These are all wonderful options and I like all of them for different reason. I'll take them to DH and see what he thinks.

Eric - To answer your question about plumbing - not really an issue, we have a full basement so everything is exposed and DH just happens to be an plumber, electrician and GC :)

I agree that my plan seems so divided and cramped compared to all of these.

Stacey - I like the linen storage that you were able to find, I've been worrying about that. Either of your designs give better storage (either in a linen closet or a larger vanity.)

renov8r - Seems that as soon as I get into the bathroom the whole house (including the animals) decide THAY all need to be there too LOL

Chicagoeans - I love the look of frosted glass and (gasp) glass block (I'm so 80's lol)

• blondelle
    13 years ago

Would this work for you? It's a bit smaller shower but gives a better flow to the bath. This half wall still gives you privacy for the toilet area.

• juliekcmo
    13 years ago

Here is also a way to get some extra storage between the studs. We did this in our 1/2 bath by the kitchen.