Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayhem69_gw

can i run my Hansgrohe 10' showerhead and handheld at same time?

mayhem69
13 years ago

Hi, i just bought a Hansgrohe Raindance 240 Air 10" showerhead. I also bought a wall mount Hansgrohe handheld. I will not be having any body jets, just the 2 heads. Now, i know i have to buy the trim with diverter. I think i need to buy the Thermobalance 2??

My questions is can i run water from both heads at the same time with the Thermobalance 2 valve? I would really love to be able to run the main 10" along with the handheld at the same time.

I want to do this the right way, if anyone has any suggestions please chime in.

Comments (4)

• mayhem69
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Also, i was looking on Ebay at a trim and at the bottom it stated works with 2 different valves. 1 valve stated "service stops -yes" and the other stated "service stops-no", what does this mean?

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Here is a great thread with info about all the workings. Hope it helps until some expert answers here. May be time to bump that other thread up again.

Here is a link that might be useful: FAQ plumbing

• jacobse
    13 years ago

Mayhem69, the Thermobalance II will let you run one head (turn the valve to the left) or the other (turn to the right), but not both at the same time. You can see the markings on this picture, one of the trims for the Thermobalance II:

What you want is the Thermobalance III. This is designed to be able to run three different shower heads, but it can be used for two - and allows you to run either showerhead individually or both at the same time.This is exactly what we did in our next shower with a Hansgrohe (Axor) 10" rainshower and handheld.

In a two-device configuration, turning the handle to the left will run one showerhead (A). Turning it part way to the right will run the other showerhead (B). Keep turning further to the right, and both showerheads (A+B) will operate. Turn all the way to the right, and you'll be back to just one showerhead (A) running. Here's a picture of one of the Thermobalance III trims:

You can see the marking for "I" on the left, "II" and "III" on the right (well, the "III" is obscured) -- but with only two showerheads, "I" and "III" are the same one.

Note that in order to do this, your plumber has to follow Hansgrohe's set-up instructions. One of the valvle outlets has to be connected to another, or the valve won't work right. It's clear in the instructions, but some plumbers may not stop to read them, and you shower won't work right. I suggest printing the page in the instructions and going over it with your plumber. Here's a link to the installation manual for the Thermobalance III; go to page 5 to read about using it in a two-fixture system.

We're very happy with this set-up!

Service stops are screws on the water input connectors of the valve which serve as water shut-offs. It can be handy for the rare service on the valve, such as replacing the cartridge if it develops a drip later in life. But in your configuration (two water features), it is very important to have service stops, because the water to the valve must be shut off after rough in until the cartridge is installed with the trim after the tile work is complete. Without the water cut off from the valve with two of the valve outlets connected together, hot and cold water in your house can mix together. This is not mentioned in the Hansgrohe instructions; I learned this when talking to Hansgrohe's support people to ask about service stops!

-- Eric

• Newyorking
    13 years ago

Jacobs has laid out the configuration very well. I have one and can use handshower, rainshower, and jets at the same time. You are smart about not having jets - I don't use mine at all. It was such a waste of money.

If you call Hansgrohe on the customer service number on their site, they will help you with the configuration.

Are you planning to use the handshower on a bar? I bought the bar with fix fit wall unit, but my contractor said that he had many complaints. He asked me to get a hose from a store with a wall stand instead of the bar, which is what I did. I LOVE my shower! It has been a few months since Hansgrohe was installed, and so far I have no complaints.

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area