Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Vanity Mirror Scale and Lighting

Posted by asharding (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 13:29

Please have a look at this picture and make suggestions. I've tried drawing in various side sconces but none have felt right as of yet.

So now I'm thinking about raising the mirror 3/4" and then putting lighting around the back of the entire frame.

Questions:
1) Does the mirror scale look good for this wall?
2) Do you have any sconce ideas vs. raising the mirror and putting lights around.
3) If I put lights around the back of the mirror, what type of light kit and bulb should I use?

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Vanity Mirror Scale and Lighting

I would line the top of the mirror with the top of the doors. i don't think side sconces would fit well in that space. I'm clueless about backlighting the mirror but I bet it would look amazing.

o

I don't think you need that large of a mirror on that wall. It is a mirror for your vanity that you will be sitting at right? For standing and seeing your whole body you have the door mirror to the right. Your drawing with the mirror just looks too big to me. I'd scale it down and make it more intimate. There might even be room to add sconces to the sides.

o

If you look at the mirror on the right, you'll see two sink vanities. Each of these vanities has a medicine cabinet. The top of the mirror in the center of this picture is set at the same height as the top of these two medicine cabinets.

o

You don't want any lights mounted as high as what you've shown for a makeup vanity. The light should be on both sides of you, at about face level when you're seated.

Mount sconces directly on a mirror, simply framed out with "picture frame" painted to match your cabinetry. Bring it to edge of the cabinetry (abutting door frames)and up to be flush with the top of the doors.

Kind of like this image below from Houzz, except with trim. In your case, you could also just do an unframed mirror with a wide bevel but no wood trim because the doors provide a natural stopping point.

Or this:

This post was edited by shanghaimom on Tue, Nov 5, 13 at 22:35

o

The plan is to back mount the mirror an inch away from the wall and install LED lights all the way around. I was hoping that this would provide evenly distributed light all the way around.

I've got the glass with the TV built in so I can't make it bigger. I can make it smaller.

o

Oh! I thought you were undecided. Sounds like you're all set, then.

o

I'm taking off the top light per your suggestion. Now we're deciding between LED lights all around or two sconces as shown or both.

o

I'd do both, because I don't think the LED will be enough lighting for a vanity. But I haven't done much looking at LED light output. You could look on the lighting forum. The color rendition and the light output will be important factors with the LED for makeup application.

o

Cool design..Strip lights are somewhat popular as they can provide you better view with less shadows helping you to shave or apply makeup properly. sconce, is ideal for accenting and complementing overhead lights. They can add a decorative flair to the bathroom. I have them in my home since last three years. I bought another double side vanity mirror from Better Living. It also seems good in enhancing the appearance of my bathroom. keeping the sconce lights beside your mirrors will be a good idea to reduce the shadows. This is the one I like the most than LED lights.. Go for it..

o

Those are nice looking sconces, asharding. What are they?

o

Hi writersblock,

They are from potterybarn.com I looked at ones from Restoration Hardware as well but they were too bulky for the scale of the bathroom.

Here is a link that might be useful: Sussex Tube Sconce

o

Thanks!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here