Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline5_gw

Show me your shower curbs!

jacqueline5
10 years ago

For my long sad saga see the attached link.

We are using porcelain tile for the floors, wainscot and shower of our master bathroom. We are going to cap the raw edge of the porcelain tile with marble pencil liner along the wainscot and shower top and sides. The marble will tie in with our calacatta counter.

Finishing the curbs is a problem. We were going to use the tile's matching bullnose trim but for some teason, the bullnose is not the same quality, its ugly, ceramic and pixelated and going back for the third time. The fabricator quoted $1300 to fabricate curbs for our 6 x 4.5' shower - two walls are solid and two are straight curb - far too much money. Is there another way to do this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Porcelain Calacatta tile saga

Comments (12)

• raehelen
    10 years ago

What about doing a solid base, and not doing a mosaic tile base? It sounds like you weren't really happy with the mosaics anyways?

We have cultured marble shower bases both in our guest bath and in the MB we're working on right now. The guest bath had two curbs like you're talking about, with glass walls above, the other two sides were cultured marble walls. If you don't want cultured marble (I love it for ease of cleaning, comfort, and it just feels so solid), there are swanstone, cast iron, etc. The beauty of cultured marble is that your fabricator can make it any colour you want, mine matched it to a BM colour chip, and came out to our house with samples until we loved it.

• jacqueline5
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi raehelen

Thank you for your suggestions. The shower base is already built, awaiting hot mop. I have to do some sort of tile as the size is custom.

I may just bite the bullet and have the fabricator make the curbs from my slab - $1300 just sounds way too expensive! I'm not paying that much for the entire counter fabrication but there is only one long polished edge.

I'm on the hunt for a simple light gray porcelain mosaic for the shower floor. I really want to be able to scrub it and not worry about etching and staining.

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Have you considered using Schluter edging?

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

Have you considered using Schluter edging?

• OldTimeCarpenter1
    10 years ago

Is anyone still building tile curbs the old way? Schluter for sure -- about $400 or less.

• StoneTech
    10 years ago

$1300 is absurd. Check out another granite fabricator. You should be able to find a scrap you like (and they should have a wide variety) that was left over from a countertop "Build."

Give them the dimensions..I like about a 1/4" overlap on both sides. They can polish, bullnose or ogee the edges and shouldn't be more than 2 or 3 hundred bucks....depending on the finish.

• lillo
    10 years ago

$1300.00 is outrageous , ask him how much is he charging you per square foot ? My calacata marble was $90 .00 per sqft . The inside of the curb was done with the porcelain used for the shower walls and the outside was made with calacata marble tile used for the floor . The top of the curb is calacata marble used for my counters and tub deck . I don't know how much exactly I paid for that piece , but I think no more than $ 300.00 . I actually have an extra piece , because the first one was too narrow , so they fabricated a new one .5 " wider at no extra cost . So I am left with the old one . For the shower floor I used a white porcelain for ease of cleaning . I am attaching the picture .

• jess1979
    10 years ago

We used remnants out of quartz. We used them on the window sill, the curb on the half wall and the curb going into the shower. I priced them at several places, using a remnant, and the prices ranged from $80 to $120 each piece. The fabricator did ours for no charge since we also got the kitchen counter and island top from them. I have posted a couple of pictures.

• jess1979
    10 years ago

The shower curb

• Melanie2012
    10 years ago

We also used some extra from our marble countertops for the curb. Cost was very low! $1300 is not reasonable.

• petepie
    10 years ago

I purchased this curb/threshold in the 6" x72" size. It has a white/creamy undertone that looks more like calacatta, instead of the grey of Carrara. Most tile shops carry thresholds that can be cut be the tile setter.

Here is a link that might be useful: Calacatta threshold