Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mayflower1032

Glass Panel instead on "boxing in"

mayflower1032
9 years ago

Hello, in the final throws of finishing my 6 year bathroom project (ouch). My other bathroom has a stand up shower with french glass doors. The glass has been challenging to keep clean. In order to keep the cost down and reduce cleaning....would a swinging one glass panel work in a bathroom with a knee wall? Has anyone used these, do they make a mess? I envision water all over the floor behind the knee wall (where the toilet is located). And then I also envision glass along the knee wall and if front of the tub, and I see dollar signs and soap scum all over the glass.

Comments (15)

• mayflower1032
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is an example of a panel:

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

In terms of maintenance, I don't see any difference between showering in a glass "box" versus have one glass panel. The water going over the half wall to soak the toilet area would be a mess. You really have to have a much larger shower area to contain the water in order to not have glass (or a full wall) on the opposite side as the shower head.

To help with cleaning, buy the glass with the Showerguard product (by Cardinal). We've had ours for 6 months now and it looks brand-new. We squee-gee it after every shower and spray it with a vinegar/water mixture before squeegeeing it every 10th shower. That's it.

• zman58
    9 years ago

Congratulations on getting it going after all this time ... mine was a seven year project (about 10-11 weeks to actually to the work).

I was stuck with a tub-shower config, so I endeavored to make the most of it (with high end tile, fixtures, etc.). It's a deep 66" tub, which yields about a 63" long finished space. We have a 36" long single panel coupled with a 27" opening and vertical grab bar at the entrance) . Was worried about 1. being cold and 2. splashing everywhere ... but, in the end neither of those is an issue at all.

Unless your shower head shoots out a low angle to the opposite wall with a lot of force, splashing out onto the toilet, etc. should not be a problem.

We got the Showerguard as well and the glass looks great after about five months fo use.

The single panel is a really nice look imho and works out just great.

One other thing to consider doing if you can ... is locating the shower/tub filler controls at the entrance vs. the showerhead wall ... works absolutely great and not a ton of extra effort to get it done.

• likewhatyoudo
    9 years ago

Mayflowers - love your floor tiles. What are they?

I have the bathroom below saved in my houzz ideabook for my hall bath remodel whenever we get to that project. My DH will be responsible for the daily glass cleaning so I don't know if I would be happy with how it looks if its not spotless.

I can go a week or more never going in the hall bathroom but it is the one guests use so he does a pretty good job keeping it clean. We will probably just do a shower curtain.

50 questions on houzz regarding this bathroom might give you some insight on the glass panel.

[Contemporary Bathroom[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/contemporary-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2103) by Toronto Interior Designers & Decorators Toronto Interior Design Group : Yanic Simard

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

I can tell you that it would never work for me because I like to stand as far back as possible from the shower head (and that would be where there is no door). Instead of cleaning glass I would be mopping water off the floor.

• Swentastic Swenson
    9 years ago

They do make a grand mess and the caulk is a nightmare to keep clean. Also, if you ran it down in front of the tub I'm afraid you'd have a little gap there for water to collect in.

If you live somewhere cold it'll also make for some chilly winter morning showers!

• Tovalee
    9 years ago

We did this in our last house and had no problems with water leaking or splashing out of the tub.

• jerzeegirl
    9 years ago

It's when you use a handshower that it's easy for the water to end up on the bathroom floor.

• GreenDesigns
    9 years ago

The biggest issue here will be that you appear to be using an undermount tub for a tub shower, which will already have water on the deck wanting to escape. (Or am I seeing that incorrectly?) That will require the entire glass surround for sure.

The end piece there has to have glass, or extend the wall upwards. Or deal with a wet seat and wet toilet paper. It will get overspray from someone standing in the shower stream.

• nycbluedevil
    9 years ago

In my hall bath, we have a deep 48" long tub that we also use as a shower. We have no door or curtain. We have a rain head that comes down directly from the ceiling. There is a small step in front of the tub. Some water sprays on to the step but that's it. We love the set up. The bathroom is open and there is no glass to clean. Everyone told me I was crazy and that it wouldn't t work but I knew it would.

The trick is having a rain head coming straight down and a deep tub (your knee wall is the functional equivalent, and in fact is even higher).

If you google pics of my new bathrooms you can see a photo of the tub.

• scpalmetto
    9 years ago

We replaced an alcove bathtub in a guest bath with a shower and used a glass panel without a door. No problems, the water that splashes out is minimal. I was advised by the glass installer to use Rain-X before the first use and about every 6 months thereafter to prevent water spots. So far that has worked well but I expect it might have something to do with the water quality. I know some places have very hard water which makes more and harder to remove spots.

• emma
    9 years ago

I could never use one like that. I do use a hand shower part of the time and I don't want to have to worry about accidentally spraying outside the opening. I also use it to wash the soapy water off the wall before I squeegee and wipe down the shower stall.

• mrspete
    9 years ago

I think the tub-with-panel would be difficult to clean: I'm thinking that you'd have to get into the tub to clean the area near the faucets.

If it were a shower, yeah, you'd still have to enter the shower . . . but you wouldn't have to step over the tub's lip, so it seems easier.

• mayflower1032
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The panels can also be hinged to allow it to swing open, therefore allowing cleaning without getting into the shower. My tub is deep too, intrigued by the idea of using nothing by nycbluedevil, but I do not have a rain shower head overtop.

• piscesgirl
    9 years ago

We are thinking of installing a glass panel for our hall/guest bath tub/shower combo. We already have a full 3 sided frameless glass shower in our master bathroom.

The glass does require extra maintenance but it isn't that much extra work once you get used to it. We squeegee it down after every shower (takes about 2 minutes) and once a year I clean all the glass and put a glass water-repellent treatment on it. Glass still looks great!