Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tiskers

Shower curtain AND glass doors?!

tiskers
15 years ago

I prefer a shower curtain, strictly for asthetics... in my rather small bathroom, it is the largest decorating accessory in the room, and I like the "wow" factor of it.

DH, on the other hand, is pushing for glass doors (strictly because of water splashing out when the shower curtain isn't pulled properly, which does happen a lot because our crazy cat loves to mess with the shower curtain when we are showering.)

Has anyone ever seen (or done) glass doors AND a shower curtain?! Is this reasonable?! Does anyone have a picture to show me, please?

All advice, opinions, input welcome. THANK YOU!

Comments (21)

• justmeinsd
    15 years ago

I have seen it a lot when people want to soften or hide the glass. While I like the look, I am not fond of having to open both when I want to take a shower but that is just me. My DIL wouldn't have it any other way.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Really?! You've actually seen it a lot?!! WooHoo, that's good to hear. Honestly, I was afraid I was the only person on the planet to consider such a thing!

I wonder is anyone has some photos? I'd really like to see what it looks like up at the top where the shower rod would be.

Thank you!

• eagle100
    15 years ago

I have nothing to add to this discussion except the thought of boxers and briefs made me laugh out loud!!! Great visual!!

• astridh
    15 years ago

I did this in a bath once where there was a really ugly glass sliding door over the tub (it had brown painted stripes on the glass; very 70's, I guess). We had the curtain mounted high enough that it hid the whole thing. It looked fine because we kept the shower curtain closed all the time. If you plan to keep it pulled open at all it would look strange.
    Now we have renovated and we have just a shower curtain. If you have a shower/tub combination, you should definitely consider the curved curtain rod. Much more roomy than a glass door or straight shower curtain.

• trekker
    15 years ago

We saw tub screens in France. I like the look and function so much that I'm putting one in our upcoming remodel that includes a tub/shower. Picture this: a panel of glass about 34" wide and 50" high attached to the wall on which the tub faucets are located. It swings away from the tub for easy access. Clear or obscured glass is available. Nothing attaches to the tub -- nothing to collect water or gunk. There is a gasket at the bottom of the glass panel to form a good seal with the top edge of the tub. If you google "tub screen" you should find some examples. Check out www.lineaaqua.net

• tiskers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ooooooh, Trekker, those tub screens sounds VERY cool! And maybe *some day* when we re-do our master bath (it's on the "to do" list!) it will be something to think about. I can certainly see the appeal of it, but right now, we are just giving the bathroom a bit of a "spruce up"... not a full face-lift yet! ;o) We are currently in full swing of a full kitchen remodel and it's taking all of our time, energy (and of course, money!)

BTW, the boxers and briefs comment made me LOL, too!!! I *THINK* DH id just going to have to suffer through using a shower curtain for a awhile longer yet!!!

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

i saw these (believe it or not) at a home depot expo. i'm thinking about doing one for our kid's jack & jill in our build. i love the fact that there is no track on the bottom. seems like it should be much cleaner and easier to maintain.

• tiskers
    Original Author
    15 years ago

How does it fit tight enough to the edge of the tub to keep in the water, though???

• kateskouros
    15 years ago

from what i understand they still use a weather strip, plastic thingy attached to the tub.
    that is my technical term for it. sorry, don't know what it's really called. ; *)

• nuthead
    15 years ago

We used a canopy type cover over one of our tub/showers that had shower doors. 2 tension rods, 1 just above the shower doors the other at the top of the ceiling all the way back against the wall, strung a simple piece of decorative fabric hemmed on 2 paralell sides and then hung over the shower. Gives a canopy or tent effect over the shower, adds the decroation you need and can be dressed up with trim or pleated by making the fabric the fabric much larger and gathering it. Im a DH(whatever that means..LOL) and liked it.

• trekker
    15 years ago

We saw them on most tub/showers where we stayed in France. No trouble at all with water on the floor and looks so much better than a shower curtain. I suspect that you need to make sure that wall and upper tub edge form a right angle and that the unit is installed so that the bottom edge (on which there is a sort of weather stripping) meets the top of the tub properly. Go to www.lineaaqua.net and look up the Mimic 34 x 55 bath tub enclosure.

• pbrisjar
    15 years ago

Hubby's parents do this for privacy reasons. In their mind the door (even though frosted) is not private enough. So they use a curtain. They just recently remodeled the master bath and removed the door completely.

• cheryl Doyle
    2 years ago

Thanks for all of your comments. It really gave me a lot to think of.

• G K
    2 years ago

Coming in late … any photos please of the fabric in front of glass shower idea? Thank you!

• Sheila McClees
    last year

Another example

• Sheila McClees
    last year

Example

• Sheila McClees
    last year

Example

• Sheila McClees
    last year

Example

• Sheila McClees
    last year

Example

• Nancy in Mich
    last year
    last modified: last year

For those starting from scratch with their shower door/curtain, there is a halfway solution. in the world of disability design there are things called ”caregiver doors.” it is a shower door system that only goes to around a yard to 40” high. They differ from regular shower doors in that they are bifold doors (like on a closet) - though they are made of glass. This ensures that in a curbless shower you don’t accidentally spray outside the shower with your handheld shower, as you can easily do by hitting a curtain with a strong stream of water. Then, above the shower hemi-doors you put a shower curtain that hangs down a bit inside the doors. This allows a caregiver to reach into a shower to assist someone inside while remaining dry. It seems like a very smart design to me. The wide open shower when the doors are open allow for manipulation of a shower chair. Partially open doors or closed doors will drip dry quickly after a shower.

Freedom Accessible Bathroom · More Info

European Wet Rooms · More Info

Universal Design · More Info

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz