Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dedtired

Contractor's discount - is there a standard?

dedtired
14 years ago

Hi. I went to Ferguson and picked out what I want for my new MB. The total was astronomical but I am repeatedly being assured that the contractor's price will be less.

I am wondering how much less. IS there a standard or usual discount for a contractor? What is that? I don't suppose it's 90 percent ;)?

Comments (6)

• bill_vincent
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

it depends on how much business the contractor does with the company. I know of some showrooms in the area where I'm told I can buy Daltile for less at retail, than I can buying with my contractor's discount at the Dal warehouse, because of the fact that I don't do nearly as much business with them as these showrooms do.

• User
    14 years ago

To answer your questin, no, there is no "standard". Any discounts can range from 2% to 50% for product, depending on where the contractor shops and what price that "discount" may be taken from A 2% discount at a big box store may yield a much better bottom line price than a 50% discount at some places, or vice versa. 50% of $100 is still $50, and so is 2% of $52.

However, unless your contractor figures in the time spent sourcing and transporting your products as labor, expect to pay markup for that sourcing and transportation on the materials that will eat up any "savings" to be had from discounts. If you count your time as worth nothing and do the shopping around sourcing and transporting your own products, be prepared to possibly encounter an upcharge in the actual labor costs that your contractor will charge to be able to cover his profit margin. Sometimes, part of that profit margin is in the product markup, and that is why you get a lower labor bid from some contractors. But, a certain job will cost a certain amount bottom line, and exactly how a contractor calculates that is unique to each contractor. You're better off comparing total bid cost when comparing contractor bids rather than chasing your tail comparing "materials cost".

• maryland_irisman
    14 years ago

Another issue with bargain shopping would be inconsistency in the availability and quality of products. The supply houses your contractor uses would be more apt to have replacement products consistent with what you have, later down the road. Using the big box stores, you'll see many items discontinued or obsolete and no way to procure replacements.

• dedtired
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow. What amazing information. I have not been able to get a straight answer anywhere else.

When I remodeled my kitchen, I used a kitchen designer who managed all the purchases except the appliances which I ordered myself. So, working this way is new to me.

Now I have a much better perspective on how all of this works. Thank you all for taking the time to post these extremely helpful responses. I hope it helps others as well.

I'm going to print this and save it!

• dedtired
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to the Poster who emailed information to me. I tried to respond but it bounced back. That was great info and I appreciate your message.