Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
suzanne_sl

Show me your walk-in showers

suzanne_sl
13 years ago

I've looked through a thousand or more bathroom photos on Houzz, and I'm not really seeing walk-in showers, although I'm sure there must be some. We're building an addition which includes a master bath and are planning a walk-in. The master bath we've had for the last 36 years has a small acrylic shower stall that is perfectly functional and easy to clean, but we're ready to move on. I love the look and design of tile showers, but am concerned about cleaning grout. I laughed at the shower door guy who replaced our plastic door with a lovely glass one and suggested we should squeegy it down after every shower (walk-in = no door!). Our GC is encouraging a solid surface of some sort (we haven't gotten as far as specifically what). I've looked at online cites for Corian, cultured marble, and anything else that says solid surface, and, I gotta say, they are boring. I'm not big on the "it looks like a hotel" thing - I've never aspired to live in a hotel. Maybe a large format tile would be a compromise solution? I do love contrast bits like a line of pattern tiles or whimsy.

This is an original adobe house and the addition will maintain that look (for earthquake code reasons, the addition will be adobe-look, not the real thing). For general style, think Mission or Craftsman. Ideas? Advice?

Comments (25)

• doonie
    13 years ago

This is our guest bathroom. There used to be a door, at the walkin shower entrance, that you had to open and shut to then access the fiberglass shower that was at the back of this space. So, where there are now no doors, there used to be 2 doors.

{{gwi:1496230}}

Threshold
    {{gwi:1425337}}

• suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, norcalnancy and doonie! You've both gone with large tiles on the walls and it looks great. Nancy, don't your towels get wet hanging there? And how did you stick the hooks to the tile? doonie, love the threshold.

• zuzubelle
    13 years ago

Suzanne - no, the towels don't get wet since they're about 4' from the center shower. My bathroom was originally a crazy, huge addition from 1971 so I had a lot of room to work with. My tile contractor drilled holes into the tile to install the hooks.

• jolsongoude
    13 years ago

Jay

• monicakm_gw
    13 years ago

norcalnancy, WOWZA!! That's one heck of a shower. LOVE it!
    So there's no lip, just a straight walk into the shower? And do I see a shower door on the left (facing the fixtures)? Is the shower in the middle of the room? Cool, cool cool! :) I'd love to see the rest of your bathroom.
    Monica

• pinch_me
    13 years ago

I couldn't get far enough away for a good picture so here's parts

Mine is sorta C7 shaped. The shower head is mounted on the bottom of the C. Walk in between the c and the 7. Take a left.

Here is a link that might be useful: bathroom

• zuzubelle
    13 years ago

Monika - the shower doesn't have a curb, you just walk in. It slopes 1/2" per foot to the drain by code starting 4' off the wall I think. The shower had to be big in order to meet the slope requirement. The door on the left is to a cedar sauna - the only original thing left in the room. It was the ugliest bathroom you could ever imagine. I don't have many pics yet but there are a few at the link. I need to take better pics to maybe put in the gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: Master Bath

• Olychick
    13 years ago

Norcalnancy...Beautiful!

• herring_maven
    13 years ago

suzannes1, You wrote,"I love the look and design of tile showers, but am concerned about cleaning grout."

Here are a few shots of our shower that we retiled ourselves as a DIY project in 2002. We used Mapei Kerapoxy grout, which (as its name implies) is an epoxy grout. Except for a cleaning every few weeks (we use Johnson Wax's Nature's Source 99% Bathroom Cleaner), we have taken no extraordinary steps to keep our grout clean of mold and mildew. It has survived eight+ years in pretty good shape, we think.

width=500>

width=500>

(The darker areas of the floor tiles are dirt from my footwear when I went into the shower to shoot the photos.)

width=500>

• suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

That is spectacular, herring maven! Epoxy grout, I'm sold.

• User
    13 years ago

I have 2 open showers. First is our master bath. we have the Grohe rain shower head and no water escapes. I love the slight step down and no raised area to step over and no sloped floor either. This one is 4 1/2 yrs old.

this is our attic reno...we are in an 1890 home so very eclectic bathroom for the upstairs...we did this 8 yrs ago. 2 views...

You will love the open concept. We have skylights in each room and it is like being outside. On a full moon night like tonight it is breathtaking. c

• suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't really know much about steam showers. Is it kind of like a sauna? Do you like it.

• suzanne_sl
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, gina. I don't spot those things very well.

trailrunner - did I say how much I love your tile in both bathrooms? Each is very different and I love both. Thanks for the pics.

• User
    13 years ago

Thank you Suzanne ! We love the tile also. I hope you get the bathroom you are looking for. c

• sabrinaflorida
    13 years ago

Here's our walk-in shower (prior to shower doors being installed), completed September 2010. Unfortuantely as I have posted in other threads, there is a waterproofing problem and demolition will start soon.

We think the shower is very pretty and looks even nicer in person (the photos look a little orange-y but the real colors are a prettier terra cotta).Tile is ceramic and ceiling is cedar. The drain had to be off center as there is a steel I-beam running under the center of the shower (which is why we had to return the cast iron shower pan we ordered--the I-bean was directly under the drain!).

• jean_in_va
    13 years ago

norcalnancy, your shower is beautiful. Can you please tell me how your glass partition wall was installed with no visible clips?

• David
    13 years ago

before the glass was installed.

• miniscule
    13 years ago

Davidtay -- I love your linear drain, the use of large floor tile in the shower, and the glass panel. Is your entry curbless? How did you make it work in what appears to be a relatively narrow space? I am trying to have a curbless shower in a similar width space, and the contractor is very resistant. While I don't have much width, the distance from the shower head to the wall across from it is almost six feet.

• David
    13 years ago

Yes it is curbless. The linear drain is 30" from Quickdrain usa.

The use of the Quickdrain rules out hot mopped water proofing.

Noble underlayment or Kerdi should be used instead.

Your contractor needs to lower the subfloor by ~ 2".

The greatest hurdle you'll face is that the drain needs to be perfectly parallel to the wall and exactly positioned.

Here is a link that might be useful: quickdrain usa

• itltrot
    13 years ago

davidtay- can you tell me how much your drain cost? I am trying to find a rough estimate on the trench drains and haven't found much luck. Quickdrain is one I'm waiting on a reply from.

Thanks.

• David
    13 years ago

~ 450 if I remember correctly. Ask your local plumbing supply store.

I've included the link from Quickdrainusa for their dealers.

Here is a link that might be useful: quick drain dealers

• dakota01
    13 years ago

Lovely showers - but is the shower area cold? Isn't it cold with no real walls/door?
    I love my shower - because it's fully enclosed with a door that keeps the steam and warmth in the shower area.

• David
    13 years ago

Not noticably different from before for me.
    It also depends on how the bathroom is heated or not, the latitude and altitude where your home is located.

• Newyorking
    13 years ago

Here is my walk-in shower with Travertine tiles on the walls and Jerusalem Gold on the floor.