Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
1/2" valve big enough to run 2 showerheads?

Posted by kirkhall (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 5, 12 at 12:32

I want a system in my shower that would be able to run 2 showerheads simultaneously (handheld + regular head or smallish rainhead). No jets or body sprays.

Is a 1/2" rough in valve large enough, or would I be safest with a 3/4" rough in valve?

Is 3/4" overkill?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: 1/2" valve big enough to run 2 showerheads?

You need to look at, or at least consider, the existing plumbing that comes before the shower valve - the size of the tubing, the number or fittings, etc.

If the supply tubing is 1/2", then you may not be able to take advantage of all of the flow-through that a 3/4" shower valve would provide had it been plumbed with 3/4" supply tubing on the shower's branch lines.

That said...yes, 1/2" supply tubing can supply enough water to feed two shower heads. Shower heads are limited to a max flow of 2.5GPM, and half-inch supply tubing that doesn't have any wacky restrictions (too long of a run, too many twists and turns in the run, flow restictions due to sediment/corrosion, decent water pressure, etc) can feed 5GPM.

As to your valve being able to supply sufficient flow through to the two heads, that should not be an issue. Just check the valve's pass-through, it should be above 5GPM.

If you do have flow restrictions, you could help performance by using a shower head with less flow through.

o
RE: 1/2" valve big enough to run 2 showerheads?

Thanks Mongoct!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here