Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minuteb

Assembling IKEA Storjorm cabinet with light?

minuteb
9 years ago

Has anyone put one of these together yet?

I just bought one of these cabinets and have been reviewing the installation cartoons with the electrician. The parts include a circular electric box cover, but the instructions don't show that as an included part nor does it show it being used in the assembly.

We're trying to figure out where to mount the electrical box behind the cabinet before we board up the wall.

There's also some "substitution is left to the reader" going on in the instructions because it doesn't show any steps for connecting the power to the LED light bars. At some point the diagram shows a cover over the wires, but gave no steps on how that came to be.

Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

You can locate your electrical box wherever you please. I'd follow local electrical code over IKEA instructions.

• Colleen Collura
    8 years ago

Bought this less than a year ago. Had an electrician install it. Not easy to assemble or install. The left light is now flashing if the door is closed and the right light is not lighting at all. The wire leading from the right light has a noticeable break in it, probably due to the normal opening of the door. When I contacted IKEA about it they were no help at all, stating that they don't have the wires and I should contact and electrician . I like the look but will now have to get an electrician to take the cabinet off the wall (it's heavy) and do the wiring. Faulty design. Made to break.

• kumomichi
    7 years ago

I have experienced the exact same issue with the IKEA Storjorm cabinet as Colleen above experienced. Lasted less than a year and as Colleen mentioned it suffers from faulty design.

• Paul W
    6 years ago

There is an issue with their wires the stress of hr flex causes them to break - I just repaired mine with a short length of wire which I then wrapped with electrical tape. It’s a really easy fix and is nothing more thtan a broken wire but shame on IKEA for not offering replacement parts. I attached a photo to show the area of the break and the repair before wrapping it for insulation.

If you doninstall make make sure you leave enough slack to allow the open and close of the door. IMHO if the wire ran behind he light rather than in front it could have been made to handle the stress.

In my case that white wire snapped - note before it snapped it would flicker on and off depending on door position.

Complete break took a small wire and connected both ends - note if you needed I think you could take off the light and wire and resolder inside but this way it will have plenty of slack now

• Len Friedman
    6 years ago
    last modified: 6 years ago

looking at your pic that is exactly what instruction recommend not to do. you should leave a loop of wire as it showed in the instruction's pic. see page 13 on the instruction: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/assembly_instructions/storjorm-mirror-cabinet-w-doors-light__AA-1272240-2_pub.pdf

• Roger moeller
    3 years ago

I left a large loop in the wire to the door and have not had any problems so far. Been installed almost a year.

The electrical box cover is supplied by you from a hardware store. The cover stays exposed behind the cabinet to facilitate removal of the cabinet at a later date. Electrical junction boxes are not allowed to be hidden inside walls per National Electrical Code.

I love mine and plan on purchasing two more for my other bathroom.

• Aliyah Silverstein
    2 years ago

do I need a separate light switch for this cabinet? Are the lights meant to just be on all the time?

• Aliyah Silverstein
    2 years ago
    last modified: 2 years ago

Timely question as my electrician is installing it now and neither of us can figure this out. I think the answer is it needs it’s own light switch

• HU-949828831
    2 years ago

I installed this about 3 years ago.

The electrical box is mounted I side the cabinet at the top and the wires run behind it, back through the cabinet and into the doors.

I've wired them in series with the ceiling lights so that the mirror lights turn on with them using the same light switch.

One of the wires have sheared due to stress. I've repaired this by splicing in a replacement section and using heat shrink. The wires leading to the lights are pretty low voltage so there's not a huge fire danger, but it is a pretty bad design.