Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elk2000

Please Help Me Choose the Toilet!

elk2000
11 years ago

For our bathroom remodel the only thing I haven't bought yet is the toilet. Nowadays, it seems majority of toilets are ADA compliant, which is quite uncomfortable for some.

We have Toto Nexus in the basement, it looks very nice, but no one wants to use it :-). We also have Toto Carolina, older model, with 15" height, very comfortable.

My requirements are simple:

1. Skirted

2. NOT ADA compliant / universal height (about 15" to the rim)

3. Modern looking (since the bathroom will have modern style)

4. $600 max

I really like Toto, but the only model that "qualifies" my criteria is Aqua, and I don't like the inside design of it.

The other models that might fit the bill are Duravit, Villeroy and Boch, Whitehaus and Inax. I haven't had any experience with these brands, so not sure which ones are OK and which ones should be avoided.

Does anyone recommend above brands?

Is there anything else?

Thank you

Comments (16)

• cathie2029
    11 years ago

HI good luck with the non ada compliant search! I was looking for the same thing though for a traditional style and it seems that every "nice" looking toilet is ADA compliant!! Total bummer!

• KevinMP
    11 years ago

ADA compliant is the same height as a chair, so I'll never understand why people don't like them (unless it's because of having children). But my Jacuzzi Prestige may fit the bill if you are forced to go ADA-compliant, and it's inexpensive at $200.

{{gwi:1400776}}

{{gwi:1496084}}

• cathie2029
    11 years ago

Kevin, they're just not comfortable.. I don't know about you but when I sit on a chair the weight is distributed between my ass and back of thighs, whereas the toilet seems like there's pressure right behind my knees. HA HA TMI! (And I'm not heavy either 5'6" at 112). They're just extremely uncomfortable and I like having my legs up to my chin as opposed to dangling...(ok a bit of an exaggeration but you get the point) : D

• cathie2029
    11 years ago

err I meant my knees up to my chin...it's late what can I say

• elk2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I guess when you are a tall person, then chair height is OK. Our family's height range is from 5' to 5'6". Since we have both versions we clearly see that, at least for us, not ADA is simply more comfortable.
    I think I'll have to chose one of Duravit, Villeroy and Boch, Whitehaus or Inax models. Just hoped someone can comment on these brands.

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Inax is very competitive to Toto. I think you will do fine with them (though I've never used one).

I think part of the appeal of ADA height is actually in flush power. My understanding is, because the tank also sits higher, gravity works to move the low water volume faster (over the slightly longer distance) for a better/more powerful flush... So, choosing a non-ADA toilet may mean less flush power. (just so you know)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

Plus, doesn't a Toto Drake come in standard height?

• elk2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Toto Drake doesn't come in skirted design, unfortunately. And that's very important requirement. People, who are clean freaks like me, will understand :-)

• VictoriaElizabeth
    11 years ago

We went with the American Standard Tropic. One-piece, elongated, skirted.

That doesn't actually help you, because it's ADA... but I felt compelled to chime in on HOW MUCH I LOVE the enclosed trapway. (And also the toilet in general.) I cannot imagine ever going back to a traditional design now that I've had this one!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Our Finished Bath

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

While it's not quite as nice as the tropic, AS has a new cadet model with a full skirt that looks a little like it, except for being a two piece.

• elk2000
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Yes, we bought American Standard Cadet 3 for guest bathroom remodel. It's perfect except that is ADA height. But it's OK for guest bathroom which is used a few times a year.
    It would be nice if manufacturers produced models in both configurations (ADA & non ADA), but it's a wishful thinking.

• dibgar
    11 years ago

The Toto Drake II does come in a skirted version called the Vespin II. It is ADA height, but I am willing to go with that in order to get the dual cyclone flush system.

• jendien
    11 years ago

The Kohler Persuade is a dual-flush toilet - skirted, and I believe regular height, clean, modem design.

I wouldn't worry too much about flush power of regular height vs ADA - velocity of the water leaving the tank can impact performance, but this is independent of the bowl height.

• kmcg
    11 years ago

I really like our Inax Cedar. The flush is far better than the Toto Aquia it replaced. But I don't know if Inax makes regular height models.

• dekeoboe
    11 years ago

I don't know about you but when I sit on a chair the weight is distributed between my ass and back of thighs, whereas the toilet seems like there's pressure right behind my knees.

Are you sure it is the height and not the seat that bothers you? There are different style seats.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

Just a couple of things about the Persuade: the "regular" height seat is only an inch or so lower than the comfort height version, and they are very hard to install and use non-standard parts inside. I love the way they look, but if you do some reading over at Terry Love, you'll see what plumbers have to say (even in the plumbing forum here, too). The big thing is that when you need to replace the innards down the road, you can't just run out and buy a new fillmaster. It will be a special order from Kohler.