Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
harriethomeowner_gw

Recessing a medicine cabinet (pics)

harriethomeowner
15 years ago

The bathroom remodeling place we are using is going to try to recess our new medicine cabinet, but they couldn't guarantee it until they got the old cabinet off and looked at what's in the wall. If they can't recess it, it's going to be surface mounted.

Here's the old cabinet:

Here's what's behind there:

The gray metal you see in the hole there is the back of the master bedroom medicine cabinet.

We had no idea there was an outlet there (the small black rectangle to the left of the hole); I don't know if it's connected or what. The light fixture will go above the mirror.

So does this look like they will be able to recess it? Now I'm wondering if we should have gone with a single-door cabinet.

Comments (7)

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

It looks like the other cabinet is taking up the cavity space you'd need to recess the new cabinet.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I should have said there's about 4 inches of depth from the outer surface of the wall to the other medicine cabinet.

Darn bathroom place ... they came out once, did some cursory measurements, and then had us order all the stuff with all these caveats. For what they are charging, I think they should take more responsibility, frankly.

• kgwlisa
    15 years ago

If you've got 4" of space it would fit if it's designed to go in a standard thickness stud wall. That said I assume it is larger than that hole and you will need to reframe the opening - which could also impact the other cabinet depending on how it's installed and how the wall is constructed. If your walls are plaster you could see some damage to surrounding wall trying to get sections of stud out of there. Recessed cabinets are far easier to deal with if you are gutting.

• lauren674
    15 years ago

How wide is your new medicine cabinet? Since you state its not a single door cabinet, I'm guessing its wider than the hole that's there now. They'll probably be able to frame a new opening and recess it as that's their business. Unless there's plumbing that would have to be moved, then they'll probably recommend mounting it on the wall.

• harriethomeowner
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The new cabinet is 36" wide (triview, frameless).

Yes, it's plaster, and they will have to cut a hole, but I'm hoping they know how to do that.

The master bath shower plumbing is behind the wall about 20" to the left of the edge of the master bath medicine cabinet. The cabinet will go to about 17" (where the old wallpaper ends in the picture), so it may be tight. The person who did the initial measurements did look at the master bath and did some measuring, and I told her the mirror was right behind the mirror in the hall bath.

They have been kind of pi**y about my questioning anything (because they TOLD me it might not work, that's supposed to cover them). We've been through a little drama over the tile repair, too.

I don't know why it is that people who you hire to do work for you are not more accommodating. I don't think we have been difficult, but OTOH, it's our house and we're paying for this.

I think the deal is that all these bathroom places prefer to gut and put in all new stuff. They are not really renovators.

• pinkish23
    14 years ago

that looks tough to figure out..

Here is a link that might be useful: my medicine cabinet

• zippy_one
    14 years ago

pinkish23-
    * No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.