Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Tiling question: how to size anchor and bit

Posted by fouramblues (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 12, 13 at 12:16

Well, this is actually for a kitchen backsplash, but probably more folks with tile expertise are on this forum?

So... for well over a year now I've had a stainless shelf for over the range. I've been too afraid to drill into my backsplash tile! The size of the screws that came with the shelf isn't specified. (The display at HD with the holes to size screws was not helpful. They're either #8 or #10, I think.) I need to get the appropriate size anchors (straight tubes, right?), and figure out how to choose the correct diamond drill bit relative to the anchor size. Any words of advice would be wonderful - I'm ready to get the shelf off of the floor (and my to-do list) and onto the wall!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Tiling question: how to size anchor and bit

Locate your wall studs; you could verify by drilling a small hole through the grout line. After drilling the tile, (don't put your drill on "hammer") screw through the shelf and tile and into the studs with a stainless steel panhead screw.

o

Trebruchet, there's only one stud, so I'm stuck with two of the three screws going into anchors. Thanks for the response!

o

It depends so here goes.
Assuming it's a # 8 OR #10 - as the bore-countersink bore on your shelf will fit that screw. No Biggie, as a panhead will work equally as well.

Anyhow, you're looking at either a 3/16 or 1/4 drill bit, depending on what size anchor. Your anchor WILL tell you what size bit you need. If it's ceramic, any diamond bit will do. If it's porcelin, I would use a Armeg PTC bit (google it). THAT size is based on what sized hole is called for the anchor. Use a good anchor like these and call it a day. I would not loose sleep on hitting a stud with good anchors.

http://www.toggler.com/products/alligator/overview.php

o

Thanks so much, chefwong! I just watched a video of that drill bit going through porcelain like butter! Wish me luck...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here