Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kirkhall

Difference btwn SpectraLock Pro and Laticrete at Blue Box store

kirkhall
11 years ago

Calling All Tile Pros!

I am having trouble figuring this out (or if it is important)--

I am doing a white subway tile in my girls' bath. Was leaning toward Silver Shadow (or maybe a hair darker, what is next)? Want easy to clean (or no maintenance) and no or little staining. So, I was thinking "epoxy".

I said to my tile person I might do "spectralock" grout, and he said, oh don't do that. Then, he said, well, spectralock pro is fine. Then, I asked his preferred one, and he said he likes the Laticrete grout at Lowes with the additive.

Now, I am not certain what the additive would be, other than the spectralock epoxy. That is what I am finding online at Lowes.

Are these the same products? He swears by the "Laticrete with the additive" (which seems to me would be "spectralock") Maybe my terminology is off?

What are the differences? And, what would you recommend?

Comments (6)

• barbcollins
    11 years ago

I am not a "pro" but I have used both.

I liked the Laticrete & additive. It is a lot cheaper than the epoxy grout. I used it to tile a kitchen countertop. One morning I came out to find that my DH had spilled some tea before going to bed the night before. I thought it was doomed, but I wiped it up and there was no stain,

I used the epoxy grout to do the my last countertop. I found it harder to work with, and I had to buy a lot more than I expected.

My local Lowes does not sell it anymore. They now have Mapei products.

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Okay. Thanks Barb!

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Any others?

Also does anyone know if Lowes is doing away with the Laticrete line, or is it regional?

• kirkhall
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I had to go dig up my post! Why have they stopped emailing?
    Anyway, thanks enduring for your long and thoughtful post!

Any others who have used both?

• dani_m08
    2 years ago

@enduring - I keep running across posts from you while researching information for my bathroom renovation!

I am using marble hexagon mosaic tile for the shower floor in my master bathroom. I have read many posts where people have had issues re: water discoloration. I read some articles by Pavlo Starykov (referred to here on Houzz) based upon some experiments he did related to this issue. After reading a few articles, I sent him an email with a few Qs. He replied back in less than 10 minutes- and told me that he’d be happy to discuss his recommended installation method with my tile setter.

When a surface bonded waterproof membrane has been installed, Mr. Starykov recommends the use of an epoxy adhesive/epoxy grout (along with a highly breathable penetrating sealer). Based upon what I’ve read re: epoxy adhesives/grout, they are difficult to use. While looking at products, I found Laticrete SpectraLOCK Pro Premium Grout as a possible product to use. That’s how I found your post!

You commented that you didn’t find it very difficult to use - but that you didn’t have much to compare it to. Had you ever grouted tile prior to using this SpectraLOCK Pro Premium epoxy grout? I’m just trying to understand the extra level of difficulty vs. non-epoxy grouts before discussing the installation method recommended above by Mr. Starykov with my GC (and his tile setter). I’m not sure if there is enough of a difference that I should expect an added charge for labor - and if there is, how much would be reasonable? While I know that you don‘t have answers to those Qs, it would be helpful if you would share some more detailed thoughts about using this particular epoxy grout.

Once again, I appreciate your help! Thanks!