Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cannes

Can use some feedback

cannes
11 years ago

My husband and I are in the planning stages of our bathroom remodel. The house was built in 1922 and last time the bathroom was remodeled was probably back in the 50's. This is the only full bath in the house. Therefor, we need to have everything in our possession before proceeding with demolition. As you can imagine, there is a lot of pre-planning to make this go smoothly.

We've narrowed down quite a bit already, but need some opinions to help finalize our decisions.

Fixture
We've decided on Hansgrohe Axor thermostatic fixtures for the bath/shower combo. However, we are undecided on a handshower. Is it worth the additional $500?

Medicine Cabinet
Because it's an old house and a smallish bathroom, we are planning to build in efficient storage. For a medicine cabinet, we are planning on a Robern Uplift. And above the toilet, a plain,flush mounted mirrored Robern cabinet. Too much mirror on one wall?

Sink/Vanity
I keep going back and forth over a wall mounted sink (simple, clean, spacious look) and a wall mounted vanity(additional storage). Both by Duravit.

Towel Warmer
We currently have a floor towel warmer and are planning on getting a wall mounted unit. We are looking at an Amba or Runtal. Any opinions?

Tiles
Should we tile the entire bathroom? Or just the bath/shower? And if we tile the walls of the entire bathroom, for cost, we'd rather not tile to the ceiling. Would it be ok to tile half way or 2/3 of the way up?

I'd love to hear all your thoughts and opinions. All advice is greatly appreciated. We've remodeled a kitchen and found it easy in comparison to this.

Comments (14)

• kirkhall
    11 years ago

I can't say about the fixtures.
    So, Medicine Cabinets: what IS your bathroom size? What size Robern Uplift? If you are going with the 30" and choose a second 30", maybe not too much mirror. Otherwise, it might be. Maybe you could choose just a cabinet face on the one above the toilet.

Sink/Vanity--how much storage do you have elsewhere? Do you have a nearby linen tower? Is this a home that might be used by a younger female ever, who would appreciate the cabinet storage? If it were me, I'd choose wall mounted vanity.

No opinions on the towel warmer.

Tiles. You do not need to do tiles on the walls at all. And, 1/2 way up is totally appropriate for a small bath as well. I think you decision here could be logically based on finances as well as overall look.

TIFWIW.

• Olychick
    11 years ago

I'm guessing the toilet is next to the vanity, thus the concern of too much mirror on one wall?

This is just personal preference, but a "medicine" type cabinet over a toilet always makes me worry about things you keep in that kind of a cabinet falling into the toilet - you know, small things, pill bottles that aren't very stable, etc. Is there any way to build a regular, deeper cabinet between the studs, coming out a bit, but not enough to bang your head, above the toilet?

or something like this?

[Eclectic Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/eclectic-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2104) by Other Metro Interior Designer Nichole Claprood

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107)

Here's one also showing tile just part way up the wall, which I think looks wonderful in a traditional bathroom:

[Traditional Bathroom design[(https://www.houzz.com/photos/traditional-bathroom-ideas-phbr1-bp~t_712~s_2107) by Other Metro Architect Chad Cooper

I'm not sure if your question is whether to add a handheld shower, or whether to spring for the expensive Hansgrohe? I would say yes to the handheld. So much more flexibility for cleaning and, when on a bar, different heights for different users, or should you ever need to sit down to shower. I'm going to add a shower to my tub and have decided to skip any showerhead but the handheld.

Good luck on your project!

• williamsem
    11 years ago

Definitely put in a handheld, there is a recent thread about this if you are interested.

Above toilet storage is definitely handy. But it's a horrible place for medicines if there is a shower or tub in the room. Making a habit of closing the lid when reaching to open the cabinet is helpful, I have had all sorts of things come tumbling out unexpectedly. My new habit has saved me a lot of headache!

• cannes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I'm so sorry it's taken me so long to post back here. We read and took all your responses into consideration.

The above toilet cabinet got nixed. I wasn't so much worried about things falling in because with our soft close seats we never leave them up. Our decision was based more on esthetics. Our sink/toilet wall is 70" wide and we're afraid that a 30" mirrored cabinet is plenty.

The biggest, most exciting news since I first posted is we've placed an order for the majority of stuff. YAY! We expect to have everything and begin construction this spring.

Here's where we are at:

Tub- Kohler Underscore 30"x60"
    Shower fixture- Porcelanosa Bend Mix (it has a hand shower!)
    Shower/bath Door- Porcelanosa
    Sink- Porcelanosa Kole 31"
    Mirrored Medicine Cabinet- Robern 30" Uplift
    Lighting- Robern Uplift Pendants
    Tile floor- Porcelanosa black slate
    Tile shower- Marmi Blanco
    Feature shower wall and wall behind sink/toilet- Qatar Nacar
    Keeping current Toto toilet
    Building custom shelving behind door for additional storage

Still need to decide on towel warmer. We are leaning heavily towards a Porcelanosa towel warmer. Looks great and is 750 watts but it's a plug in. Hmmm...

• enduring
    11 years ago

Looking forward to your project. Be sure to post :)

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    11 years ago

That's a very handsome shower. I'll be interested to hear how you like it once you've had it a while.

• sofla
    11 years ago

I love the materials you purchased. I purchased a Robern uplift 30in for my husbands side in our remodel. Wishing it was mine. Its going to be a surprise for him. He is going to love the outlets inside and the contemporary look. When its finished I'll post pics.

• sofla
    11 years ago

I love the materials you purchased. I purchased a Robern uplift 30in for my husbands side in our remodel. Wishing it was mine. Its going to be a surprise for him. He is going to love the outlets inside and the contemporary look. When its finished I'll post pics.

• cannes
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@enduring- I certainly will.

@writersblock- We probably won't begin the remodel until spring. But I will certainly report back on the shower fixture after we've used it for a bit. I have searched high and low for any reviews on the Porcelanosa fixtures and can't seem to find much here in the states. Considering they are used in spas all over Europe, it can't be that bad. right?

@solfa- Have you decided on what light fixture you will use with the uplift?

• cannes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm finally reporting back on our remodel. It's still not completely finished but it's getting there. We started it about a month ago(husband took 3 weeks off of work). Since it's an old house, it was a complete gut. Walls, plumbing, flooring down to the floor joists, replaced the radiator... everything. We even tore out the door and put in a pocket door.

Since last week, we've been using the shower and have to say we are pleased as punch with the porcelanosa shower/tub column and tub/shower folding door.

I'll try and post some progress photos but, in the meantime, here is a list of additional items added to our list above.

Runtal radiator
    Robern Uplift pendants
    Porcelanosa towel warmer

• cannes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Here are a couple in progress photos of our bathroom remodel.

This post was edited by chicagochristina on Wed, Oct 16, 13 at 11:58

• cannes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

demolition

• cannes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

tub/ shower tile and fixture

• cannes
    Original Author
    10 years ago

and the tub/shower door. The last picture for now.

Sponsored
Pierre Jean-Baptiste Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars76 Reviews
Award-Winning Interior Designer in Loudoun County | 12x Best of Houzz