Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren674_gw

Finished! Pictures & Details in the Gallery

lauren674
15 years ago

Hi everyone! Our bathroom is finally finished, the only detail to come will be a wall mounted make-up mirror which DH will install this weekend. We've been enjoying it for a couple of weeks now and most of the hardware is now installed.

Many thanks to the forum members for helping me with decisions along the way...we are very happy with how it turned out.

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to post in bathrooms gallery

Comments (15)

• golddust
    15 years ago

Beautiful! We're right in the middle of constructing a bathroom upstairs in our 1912 era home. Is that a Porcher sink? We plan to use the large Porcher Sonnet sink. We're doing honed marble subway tiles, just like we did in our kitchen. Same kind of look, without the shine. Thanks for sharing!
    -golddust

• gsciencechick
    15 years ago

Love it!

• alterit
    15 years ago

so is it rude to ask how much something like this costs?

I posted earlier that our contractor did not include the renovation of one of our bathrooms in our contract!!

He did include a new vanity..but we have to have all of our tile redone and a new shower. Our bathroom currently has brown/tan 1959 tile. I would love a white tile bathroom like yours. Curious how much extra this will add to our job.

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alterit: The materials for this bathroom totaled about $7K. Tile was around $1500 (with a contractors discount). The biggest expense would be labor which would have cost $10-$12K I've been told, but we received a favor/discount from a contractor and did a lot ourselves.

You would want to write up exactly what you want, and have a few contractors bid on the job. Make sure its very specific about electrical, drywall, plumbing, tiling, installation, shower door.

Gold dust: The sink is Hudson Reed. That Porcher Sonnet is a beautiful sink.

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry, no the faucet is Hudson Reed, the sink is a Herbeau.

• thetews
    15 years ago

Lauren - your remodel turned out perfectly fantastic! I love it.

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Lauren - Did you end up replacing the hex or using the original?

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Gardenspice - We did end up replacing the hex tile floor. Tried to save the original, but in the end we realized the crack and slope on the toilet end of the room was too much damage and it was time for a fresh level floor.

The new floor has black flowers vs. the old with blue flowers...we also spaced them evenly so there are more of them. The new floor is so old fashioned looking most people figure its the old floor.

Here is the old:

Here is the new (before grouting):

• gardenspice
    15 years ago

Thanks for answering. I noticed that the flowers looked darker. It is a shame the original would not work, but it would have been crazy making to have put all the work in and not have the floor just right too.
    Very nice remodel!

• yadax3
    15 years ago

Really nice! I love how your nice big block window provides lots of light while keeping your privacy.

• bobcatm
    15 years ago

Lauren - Your floor looks great..I'm doing a similar floor in my 1895 Victorian bath. I already have the 1" hex tiles. They are white porcelain - unglazed. I'm on the fence on whether the the black accents should be unglazed (very flat black) or matte glazed (somewhat shiny)? The black unglazed seem they might be too "chalk boardish". What did you use?

Thanks

Bob

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry I'm late responding to this Bob, hope you still see it.

I used matte finish for both the white and black, so they are glazed. Didn't order a sample of the black unglazed, though I did have white at one time. The unglazed I've seen online does seem less black, but I think it will appear as black when its on the floor.

It is my opinion to use the same finish for both the black and white tile unless you have samples of both and they blend nicely together with regards to the shape of the top of the tiles.

• bobcatm
    15 years ago

Since my last post I've been leaning toward doing both the black and white in matte glazed...the unglazed "white" I bought unseen seems more of a bone or linen color...seems will look too yellowish next to white wall tile and toilet..

Lauren thanks for your reply... I now for sure will go with the white matte as yours looks great

• lauren674
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Glad to hear you are finding out what works for your bath. The original floor tile was unglazed and 90 years old. Here is a closer picture after the new floor was grouted with Laticrete Smoke Grey grout, (the picture above was pre-grout). It better shows the matte glaze and slight texture which shows up best on the lower right black flower in this picture.

• brutuses
    15 years ago

Gorgeous, absolutely gorgeous. You used my favorite paint color, SS.