Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
leela4

For those wondering if doorless showers are cold

leela4
9 years ago

Ours isn't. I understand that everyone's experience - size of shower, size of room, fixtures, under floor heat, etc. etc.
But our new master bath got a really good test this morning - it was 16 degrees outside - and I stayed plenty warm. And I'm the type of person who gets cold pretty easily. We don't keep our house super warm either - the thermostat is set to 68.

Just thought I'd share that with those who are considering this option but worried about about the consequences.

Comments (8)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

It must be very individual, because I was always a little cold when we had an open-door shower, and I live in California where it never goes below the high 40s during the day!

• Babka NorCal 9b
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear that yours worked out well. Every doorless shower I've ever been in (probably 5 or 6 over the years) has chilled me the second I stepped out the the water stream.

-Babka

• jewelisfabulous
    9 years ago

I have a full glass shower, but I even get a little chilled while toweling off after I've turned the water off.

• gabbythecat
    9 years ago

We have a doorless shower with walls that don't go to the ceiling - there is a 2 foot gap at the top between shower wall and ceiling. We heat with wood heat, and our bathroom is usually about 62 degrees. It's a tad chilly when I step out of the water, but when I think of the times I have used the outdoor shower at a mountain lodge (wind blowing in off a glacier) - I feel warm enough. So I get dressed in a hurry and hustle out to stand by our stove, which is hopefully roaring! :-)

• LE
    9 years ago

I'm glad to hear it! I think there are a lot of variables. Ours doesn't have the glass panel installed yet (no door), so it hasn't been used. I'm hoping the fact that it's a non-drafty house with heated floors will help. It's also a small room.

• oldfixer
    9 years ago

Not doorless but under the hot water is fine. Anyone turning off the water to dry would notice a difference. Maybe a benefit not having a door to clean? Maybe not a benefit, depending who walked into the room?

• leela4
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi MrsPete-
    I can try to answer your questions with respect to our shower, but others should chime in as well.

Our shower is not a rectangle; there is an angled pony wall on one side. I will link my ''reveal'' below so you can see what I mean. The narrow dimension is 48'', front to back on the longest side is 63'', the opening is 28'' and the pony wall is 29''. We have 8' ceilings.

The bathroom itself is 7.5' x 11'.

We do have under floor heating; it does not go under the shower.

Our shower is on interior walls.

The other thing that helps is that we have a great Panasonic fan/light/heater just adjacent to the shower. I turn that thing on right before I step into the shower and leave it on until after I towel off.

We have had continued very cold weather here since I started this thread (in the low teens every night) and even I am somewhat surprised at how undrafty this shower is.

HTH

Here is a link that might be useful: MBR