Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
teeda

Installing pedestal sink basin on vanity counter top question

teeda
9 years ago

Hi, I am in the process of updating a 70s main hallway bathroom. I am having the vanity custom built into the existing space (see drawing). The top will be mahogany, and I would like to use the Kohler Memoirs pedestal basin. I first chose the Kohler Memoir drop in/self rimming sink, but then saw this picture on Houzz and really like the look of the pedestal basin directly on the counter. Does anyone see any issues with installing a sink this way? I understand that the lower part of the basin will need to be recessed. Also, the pedestal basin is 2.5 deeper than the drop in version, so the counter will need to get deeper, but I do have room for that. I appreciate any feedback--thank you!

Traditional Powder Room by Victoria Architects & Building Designers The Sky is the Limit Design

Comments (12)

• User
    9 years ago

Who's gonna clean that grody crevice between the sink rim and the backsplash? You prepared to lose a lot of the cabinet's interior space to the cradle needed to support the sink? Are you OK wasting a buch of money on a granite top that really cannot even set a toothbrush holder?

Sorry, butI think it's both expensive and dysfunctional.

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Hollysprings, the cleaning issue between sink rim and backsplash is something I hadn't thought about. I'm using a wood countertop, not granite and would have about 15" on either side of the installed sink (58" vanity).
    But you raise a very important point--thank you!

• nicole__
    9 years ago

I'm using this design in the mstr bath. There is always caulking around a top mount sink. Nothing new there. The Ikea sink I'm using has little soap dishes built in and I'm using a granite slab counter.

I don't see "any" issues. It's cute, up-to-date....stylish....It will be a great accent piece!

• Debbi Branka
    9 years ago

I think it looks really nice. I'm not sure how you clean between the sink and backsplash in the back, unless your vanity is deeper than the standard 21", but other than that, I like it a lot!

• nicole__
    9 years ago

deb52899.....my sink butts up to the wall. Just depends on the sink she buys....

Here is a link that might be useful: Like this one....

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks nicole and deb. Since posting I have found a couple other photos of the Memoirs pedestal sink top installed on a counter top. I've attached one below. I think this shows the 30" basin--I ordered the 24". I'm going to try it out on the existing countertop tomorrow. I'm concerned that the room might not be large enough to handle this look, but we'll see!

• teeda
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow, mongoct, that is just gorgeous! Thank you so much for sharing your photos. Love your cabinetry. Great idea for a backsplash as well--I've been wondering how to handle that as I don't want the backsplash the same as the counter and am not planning to add any tile.
    Well, I had just about talked myself out of using the Memoirs, but now I really must reconsider!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

Thanks. I don't comment on fixtures often, but I do have to say I think the Memoirs is a lovely sink. The sink itself is large, the wide rim I absolutely love, and it has a good-sized bowl. It is indeed a nice sink.

We had the same feelings over the backsplash. We went back and forth between painted wood or teak. I thought the teak backsplash would make the Memoirs pop more due to contrast, but my wife didn't want too much wood grain in the room. So we did painted wood which I topped with a teak cap. If my wife ever did want teak, I told her I'd simply glue a teak veneer over the painted wood. It's still painted.

That run of cabinetry changed a couple of times during the design process. It was originally going to be a spacious 2-sink vanity. My wife really insisted on one sink! So that freed up space for the floor-to-ceiling storage closet on the left and what we call the "toilet pantry" on the right.

The design has worked quite well for us over the years, I built it around 15 years ago. My daughter, who was 7 or 8 years old at the time, designed the profile for the toe kick cutouts. That was quite a bit of fun "working" with her.

If you go in another direction, no worries. Choose what works best for you.

• abbycat9990
    9 years ago

What a great idea! We are thinking of retrofitting out master vanity with vessel sinks to add height - using a pedestal top is certainly something to consider...

Mongo - is that a teak veneer or solid teak counter top - and where might one get such a counter top?

• nicole__
    9 years ago

WOW! Mongoct.....that's a LOOK! Style!!!!!!

• MongoCT
    9 years ago

abbycat, the teak is solid. I bought planks at a local wood reseller and glued them up with epoxy.

You could approach most any cabinet or wood shop and ask them about fabrication. We have the counter tops shown in the above photos as well as the tub deck and window sill made out of teak. I actually made a swinging door out of teak for the shower, but my wife preferred doorless. It's probably in the basement covered with a few inches of dust.

Tub deck, before the window ledge and window sill behind the tub were installed:

Windowsill for the window behind the tub, maybe 8 or 10" deep? This is after glue-up and sanding.

{{gwi:2133450}}

After finishing and installing:

Teak works well in wet areas. All of these surfaces have been pretty much bulletproof over the past years. With these being in our master bath, I finished them with a film finish. I have a lot of teak in my kitchen; 2" thick countertops and a large (roughly 4' square) end-grain chopping block that's about 5" thick. Because those are working surfaces I wanted an easily renewable finish on those, so I finished them with mineral oil. They get oiled once or twice a year.

Note to WMA: sorry for side-tracking your thread!