Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bathroom Vanity

Posted by meanmom08 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 15, 13 at 11:51

Due to a water leak, I'm in the process of a quickie bathroom renovation. The insurance adjuster told me to go to Lowe's and choose a vanity. What has me stumped is what type to get - the free standing look, or the built-in cabinet type for lack of a better description. It is a very small bathroom . The current 1980's site-built vanity is 41" long.

If I go with the 36" free-standing type, there would only be 2 1/2" between the wall and the end of the vanity. Is that enough room to look OK, or is that not enough space to look "appropriate" for the space?

If I order a built-in type, vanities don't come in that length, so it will require a 2"filler between the wall and the cabinet. Will it look odd having a filler on one side but not the other?

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bathroom Vanity

I know you are probably not worried about code compliance in a situation like this, but code wants 4" between the edge of a wall hung sink or a free standing vanity and the wall. It makes sense because it gives you room for cleaning. Much smaller and you have a hard time cleaning between it and the wall and retrieving things that fall to the back corner.

o

Code requires 4" clearance for cleaning? Whose business is it whether I can clean to the sides of my vanity? Are you sure that isn't just a "suggestion" rather than a code requirement?

OP, you could still center the vanity, and have a 1" filler on each side, rather than 2" on one side and none on the other.

o

Why don't you center it with a 1" filler from both sides ?

o

Why not tell the insurance adjuster that the original vanity was custom made for the space and you want it replaced with a custom made vanity?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here