Return to the Bathrooms Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
maintaining warm water with 1/2" pipes

Posted by peonyfan (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 19, 12 at 11:39

We live in a 1960s home. When someone is in the shower, and another person is shaving in the same bathroom (periodically turning on warm water), the warm water to the shower gets cool. This is more noticeable now that the weather is cooler, or it could be that our habits have changed a little and we are more frequently in bathroom together, not sure. We are planning on renovating this bathroom, but would be more inclined to pursue incremental solutions than a hugely expensive solution (we are not going to put in bigger pipes). We have a new gas water heater of an appropriate size, shower is not excessive in length, and there is no other hot water being used at the time. Some hot water pipes go through uninsulated crawl space which we should insulate. Will insulating the pipes help solve this problem? Awhile back I'd been looking at this forum while planning the bathroom reno, and I read about some device that prevents the water temp from increasing or decreasing more than x number of degrees. Does anyone know what this is called? Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: maintaining warm water with 1/2" pipes

When the shaver turns off the water, does the shower gets warm again? My guess (and that's what it is) is that turning on the sink faucet causes a pressure drop, which results in less flow of the hot water to the shower.

Thermostatic or pressure balancing valves for the shower should help, but will not make the issue totally go away. It would probably require replacing the existing in-wall valve, so would entail tearing out tile. My wife's shower has a Hansgrohe thermostatic valve, and she still complains if I run the kitchen sink while she is showering. I'm wondering whether pressure balancing valves respond faster.

o
RE: maintaining warm water with 1/2" pipes

Yes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Bathrooms Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here