Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jacqueline5_gw

Sinks that don't splash all over the counter

jacqueline5
10 years ago

Not to imply an inanimate object can splash, but you get my drift...

I need to order new sinks. We had Kohler Vintage drop in sinks, they're huge. I ordered them that way to avoid splashing on the counters. Alas, every time I wash my face, water ends up all over the counter. On a recent business trip, I noticed I did not leave water everywhere after washing my face in the hotel sink. I was so busy working, I didn't take time to note the size, depth, mfgr...anything. I vaguely recall it being a much smaller undermount. So, I'm here to query my Gardenweb bathroom gurus for recommendations. I'd rather not take up the whole counter with ginormous sinks this time. My marble is gorgeous, if I could get away with not having sinks at all, I would!

Details: 7' vanity, two undermount sinks, must be Kohler so I can order their biscuit color (toilet and tub are biscuit). Small as possible without looking ridiculous, timeless style (love square but worry about looking dated in the future).

Thanks much!

Comments (21)

• enduring
    10 years ago

I don't have any help for you. But I am surprised at your experience with the splashing.

I am interested in what other's experiences are and what recommendations you get.

Edited to add: Do you think that your sink is too short front to back? I see that it is 14-3/8" which is on the short side compared to all the other Kohlers I looked at.

This post was edited by enduring on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 13:04

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Just turn the valve a little so the water isn't flowing so hard.

EDIT The hotel sinks most likely have flow restricting aerators that make it seem like more water is coming out than really is.

This post was edited by writersblock on Thu, Nov 7, 13 at 13:24

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

jacqueline5,

Our sinks are the Kohler Verticyl rectangles. I think they have a really simple, classic look but feel updated because of the undermount and vertical sides. They also come in a cute oval shape that's smaller.

There's no splashing. I don't believe that it is the sinks that splash or don't splash, though. It's the relationship between the faucet and the sink, the "shape" of the waterflow, the force of the waterflow. As writersblock said, hotel waterflow is definitely heavily aerated. Our faucet water comes out in sort of a soft waterfall because of the shape of the spout.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

I thought if the end of the faucet spout isn't directly over (or nearly directly over) the sink drain, that this could cause splashing??? i.e. the length of the spout was very important and needed to "match" the sink.

Also, that it is important to have an overflow drain (i.e. whole in the side of the sink). I'm told (I don't know first hand) that the reason that vessel sinks usually splash a lot is because their drain isn't usually an overflow drain.

• elphaba_gw
    10 years ago

Shanghaimom - I love the rectangle sink you've shown but I didn't get one with a flat bottom like that because my plumbing "designer" as well as others on gardenweb (though not all) indicated that one needed to wipe out the bottom of the sink after nearly every use, otherwise, the water didn't drain as well as it does if there is a curved/slanted side to the sink.

I'm sure there will be some that indicate they have no problem with this but I had heard too much so I avoided - didn't want the chance of more maintenance. There are rectangle sinks that have curved sides instead of flat bottom but I'm not sure if Kohler has one.

• enduring
    10 years ago

I just picked up my oval Verticel sink. Will be weeks before it is installed though. The oval is about the same length and width as the rectangle only the corners aren't there, so less volume :)

I asked the splash question a few days ago on this sink, and the respondents reported not a problem. One poster complained about the poorly drained bottom with it's very shallow slope, another stated it wasn't an issue for them.

• rjr220
    10 years ago

We have just put in 3 Kohler Archer undermounts with Moen Voss faucets (one handle and 2 handle) and 2 Kohler Ladena with Moen 90 degree one handle faucets. The no-splash issue was important to me as well. No splashing with any of these combinations.

• writersblock (9b/10a)
    10 years ago

Is that the Delta Vero, shanghaimom?

• tefoohey
    10 years ago

I am approaching this issue as well, but I think it is my faucet which is a tall faucet. I originally thought it was my small sink but then was at a friends house who also had a tall faucet and the same issue with water all over the counter. Honestly I hadn't thought about the sink...

• enduring
    10 years ago

Thanks for the info Shanghaimom. I have had several sinks without the faucet hitting the drain and it doesn't make a difference for me either, with regards to splash. I've never had a sink splash. Good to hear the slope is adequate for the drainage too.

In my soapstone sink construction I tried to get enough slope to have it drain, and it does a fine job for a flat bottom sink. That is why the Verticyl didn't concern me, until I read someones concern about it on another thread. And with regard to splash my SS It is much deeper than the Verticyl so splash has never been a question for me with that sink. Good to hear about my new sink prospects and the success you've had. I think the oval is so sweet.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Sanghaimom

Are your cabinet pulls the Forms and Surfaces Sweep pulls? They look exactly like them. I used them in my kitchen last year and I have not seen anyone else use them. Love those pulls any was tickled to see them.

I have the Verticyl sinks in my master bath too. We must be on the same brainwave.......

• shanghaimom
    10 years ago

nycbluedevil, the pulls are Alno Millennium. The bases aren't offset like the F &S pulls and the tops are flat. I like yours --never seen them before!!

I can see why you thought they might be the same from my pic, though--here's a closeup of the Alnos:

• dekeoboe
    10 years ago

I think it is where you hold your hands. We always know when my brother washed his hands in our prep sink because there is water all over. My husband and I do not have this problem. I think when you have a taller faucet, some people wash with their hands closer to the faucet not thinking that they are so close to the top of the sink. If you wash with your hands down in the sink, there won't be so much splashing outside of the sink. Anyway, that is my theory.

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting shanghaimom. The F&S ones that I have aren't exactly like the ones you probably saw if you googled. They make four versions and only three are on that page that probably came up. Mine look exactly like yours. Mine were a small fortune (over $30 a pull!) and I spent a lot of time trying to find a less expensive alternative but never saw the Alno ones.

Love your countertop too.

Sorry for the hijack......

• nycbluedevil
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting shanghaimom. The F&S ones that I have aren't exactly like the ones you probably saw if you googled. They make four versions and only three are on that page that probably came up. Mine look exactly like yours. Mine were a small fortune (over $30 a pull!) and I spent a lot of time trying to find a less expensive alternative but never saw the Alno ones.

Love your countertop too.

Sorry for the hijack......

• raehelen
    10 years ago

Jacqueline, one tip a GWebber shared recently, can't remember who... was she had her marble/granite overhang her undermount sinks by 3/4" all around to gain a little bit more counter space. I had never thought of this, wish I had when we did our basement BR cuz I had to find a small Kohler to fit the small hole. Using her method, I could have used a slightly larger sink since it was undermount anyways. Haven't done this myself yet, but plan to have my granite counter fabricated to leave an overhang over sink. Maybe this would help you too.

• Carole Hersh
    4 years ago

Can’t figure out if the faucet is too tall or the sink too small. Even if I wash my hands, water splashes everywhere and the countertop is overflowing with water! I have to use towels on the sink when I wash. Am anticipating adding a medicine cabinet for the clutter and changing at least the sink and countertop. I don’t know if I can use this vanity. Help! Any ideas. Sink from back to front 13”.

• Tere A.
    3 years ago

Funny- I was going to comment on here then noticed all comments are from 6 YEARS ago with the exception of the 6 month ago one above...

i moved into my current home in 2017. It is the 6th house I have lived in my adult life- I don’t know what the issue is (hence my being here) but I can NOT keep the counter dry!! It’s not me, it’s this damn sink! The only noted difference is, this is granite with mounted sink- former sinks have all been that white marble/stone where I believe it’s one piece. This sink does look deeper. It baffling... I have washed my face every night before bed most of my life without issue! I have to keep a “counter towel“ or it looks like a duck bathed in it. I have tried using a wash cloth, less water flow all to no avail. So perplexing

• bridget helm
    3 years ago

i had this problem too with the sinks we installed in 2014 when we bought the house. we threw out the 1975 cultured marble counters that were one with the sinks and installed new sinks and cheap remnants until we were ready to do a full master bath renovation. we are doing the full reno now and I didn't think to measure the sinks during demolition to make sure I didn't make the same splashing all over sink size mistake again. I think the demo guys kept the remnants and the sinks since they were only 6 years old, but i'm not sure which one of the demo guys did and I only have the head guy's number.

anyway, our vanity is 87 inches and I don't want giant sinks but I don't want tiny ones either. when I washed my face water would end up everywhere and even on the floor with the sinks we had previously. it would drip onto the floor from the counter. I have never had this problem before and I don't want to have it again. those sinks weren't really THAT small, so i'm not sure what the deal was. i'd love to go with a 16x11 rectangle sink because my slab is gorgeous and I you can never have too much counter space when doing hair and makeup, but I certainly don't want water everywhere again.

• Racheal Palmer
    2 years ago

Your faucet is too high.